Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,371   Online: 997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Clearing Platinum Prints with Permawash?

I have had some problems clearing platinum prints using EDTA, even an overnight soaking wasn't enough to remove a yellow cast. Is there a shelf life to EDTA?

I had a little Permawash in the darkroom, and tried that yesterday, seems to clear the yellow cast in about 15 minutes. Has anyone else used Permawash for clearing prints?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, probably the most common clearing agents are HCA and Permawash. I've heard of many problems with straight EDTA, I've used sodium sulfite+EDTA effectively. You need your bath to be acidic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had problems clearing Kallitypes and Permawash was the only thing I could get to work reliably.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've always used an EDTA + Permawash bath for clearing my pt/pd. I'm going down to my darkroom in a bit and I'll look up the exact recipe, but off the top of my head it's one tablespoon of EDTA plus 3/4 oz Permawash per liter/quart of water.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use a dilute bath of citric acid (30 grams in 1500 ml water) for the first bath, then two baths of Kodak HCA (with a little EDTA tossed in). Works for me.

Last Light, Yosemite National Park
    4x10 Platinum/Palladium Print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last Valley Light, Yosemite Falls.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, looks like I will be getting some more Permawash.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I use a dilute bath of citric acid (30 grams in 1500 ml water) for the first bath,
    Last Light, Yosemite National Park
    4x10 Platinum/Palladium Print
    Exactly what Vaughn said. I would add go directly to the citric bath without any intervening water rinse.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another variation from others: I use 3 baths ( 5 mins each) preceded by brief water rinse.
    1st & 3rd baths are:
    30 grams EDTA (tetra)
    15 grams Citric Acid
    15 grams Sodium Sulfite
    For liter distilled water

2nd bath - Hypo Clear:
    200 grams Sodium Sulfite
    50 grams Sodium Bisulfite + liter water

Not sure where I got this, but seems to work fine.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I tried going directly to the clearing bath from the developer today - it works. That said, you get a LOT of carry-over from the developer in the clearing bath, which would lead to accelerated exhaustion of the clearing bath. I'm not a big fan of wasting chemicals if I don't have to, and this seems like waste to me. Unless you are having problems with pH that lead to clearing failure, I'd still go with the water wash before the clearing bath. It's similar to going direct from developer to fix for your silver-gelatin prints. You certainly CAN, but you'll exhaust your fix that much faster.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used a short water bath before the Citric Acid -- perhaps I will not next time. Citric Acid is not too expensive ($52 for 10 pounds...if I needed that amount!) and I can easily make up several baths depending on my output.

I also rinse the prints between the Citric Acid and the HCA/EDTA...just to get the surface Citric Acid off the paper before the next clearing bath. I tend to do long washes, but I have never measured the pH level of the finished print. Between the Citric Acid, and the presoak of the paper in 3 to 5% Oxalic Acid, I suppose the washed print might lean towards a sub 7.0 pH.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin