Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,773   Online: 757

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And don't pick on Terry. He's been sick lately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    My interest in particular is [was] that this Ink! product has an ideal CMY set... [10 minutes go by] ...but I see now that the same pigments are available in Winsor & Newton's watercolors.
    I had very good luck with water soluble inks. http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-G-284-220

I put them over a silver gelatin paper base, rather than bare paper, but they hardened up and acted just like watercolors in gum. I stopped using them because the colors are too bold for the look I want, but if bold and bright is a goal, these are the thing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Isn't there such a thing as as a transparent acrylic? I dunno. I am asking because there are plenty of opaque watercolors.
    The derogatory comment about Terry was totaly inapropriate for any of the technical forums. If you absolutely must attack somene, please go to one of the general discussion forums at the bottom (apropriately) of the forum list.
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Isn't there such a thing as as a transparent acrylic? I dunno. I am asking because there are plenty of opaque watercolors.
    The derogatory comment about Terry was totaly inapropriate for any of the technical forums. If you absolutely must attack somene, please go to one of the general discussion forums at the bottom (apropriately) of the forum list.
    Bill
    The comment regarding Terry was certainly not an attack.

As for "transparent acrylic", I just viewed a youtube video featuring the Rowney brand of acrylic inks that shows it to be very transparent. I'll be trying this very soon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GumPhoto View Post
    The comment regarding Terry was certainly not an attac .
    I know that. I was reffering to the post you commented on

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    I know that. I was reffering to the post you commented on
    Well, I happen to like Terry a lot. I love his tenacity, his spirit, his work and his contribution to the field. That said, I have to say that I don't believe that Don was being derogatory in his statement. Nuff said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Although not exactly what the OP has proposed, some years ago, I did tinker with acrylics used a substitute for gum - not just as a pigment. I diluted the paint with acrylic medium to reduce the colour density, added dichro, allowed to dry, exposed and 'developed' as done with gum. It worked: not so wonderful for contones, but quite well for screened negatives (hard-dot). I found that exposure and development had to be done as soon as product was dry enough. Within a few hours, the acrylic becomes completely hardened and un-developable. It remains one of those "interesting experiments" that I've not revisited.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    Although not exactly what the OP has proposed, some years ago, I did tinker with acrylics used a substitute for gum - not just as a pigment. I diluted the paint with acrylic medium to reduce the colour density, added dichro, allowed to dry, exposed and 'developed' as done with gum. It worked: not so wonderful for contones, but quite well for screened negatives (hard-dot). I found that exposure and development had to be done as soon as product was dry enough. Within a few hours, the acrylic becomes completely hardened and un-developable. It remains one of those "interesting experiments" that I've not revisited.
    Really? You used only acrylic with dichro and NO added colloid? That's truly weird! But after consulting the google, I find

"Organic Chemistry it is the branch of Chemistry that studies molecules with carbon atoms. Acrylic resins have the acryl functional group with structure H2C=CH-C(=O)-R derived from acrylic acid. Compounds containing an acryl group can be referred to as "acrylic compounds". Therefore, acrylic resins belong to this compounds' family."

So I guess, you can say that acrylics ARE an "organic colloid"?

So now I have something else I need to try! thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GumPhoto View Post
    Really? You used only acrylic with dichro and NO added colloid? That's truly weird! But after consulting the google, I find

So I guess, you can say that acrylics ARE an "organic colloid"?

So now I have something else I need to try! thanks!

I've used Elmer's glue in a similar fashion - there is a variety (can't remember the exact name) that is designed for kids - it dries, but does not immediately harden (makes for easy-cleaning of spills etc,.). I will caution that clearing dichro stain from 'glue' emulsions is takes a lot of washing - a very sturdy support paper is needed.
    - Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin