Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,158   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Gum prints and acrylic paint

Hello all. Has anyone ever produced a gum print using acrylic paint instead of watercolour paint ? I've got some process colour acrylic and would like to give it a go.

SPG

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_gray98 View Post
    Hello all. Has anyone ever produced a gum print using acrylic paint instead of watercolour paint ? I've got some process colour acrylic and would like to give it a go.

SPG
    I haven't personally but I know somone who does
    http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/Tutorials/Gum.html

Hope it helps
    David
    What's wrong is wrong even if everyone does it. What's right is right even if nobody does it.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hatton View Post
    I haven't personally but I know somone who does
    http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/Tutorials/Gum.html

Hope it helps
    David
    Terry King is the last person I would recommend for information.

As for acrylic pigments you are much better off using watercolor paints.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Terry King is the last person I would recommend for information.

As for acrylic pigments you are much better off using watercolor paints.
    Any reason you wouldn't recommend Terry ?

SPG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too am curious if acrylics will work, particularly with carbon. For instance, Liquitex's acrylic Ink!

Everyone knows that watercolors work well; why not explore other materials?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I too am curious if acrylics will work, particularly with carbon. For instance, Liquitex's acrylic Ink!

Everyone knows that watercolors work well; why not explore other materials?
    The question about acrylics comes up periodically and as I recall no has been too successful with them. You like to dabble Chris so go for it and let us know how it works.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't dabble near as much as I babble...

But perhaps you're right. My fear would be simply that the acrylics will harden completely and make the gum or carbon insoluble. An easy test would be to make an acrylic tissue, let it dry and run it under hot water. This, I could probably do quite easily.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I don't dabble near as much as I babble...

But perhaps you're right. My fear would be simply that the acrylics will harden completely and make the gum or carbon insoluble. An easy test would be to make an acrylic tissue, let it dry and run it under hot water. This, I could probably do quite easily.
    Why bother when we know water color pigments work so well. If it ain't broke ..., I'm just sayin'
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Acrylic paint is an integral component of the Temperaprint process. Temperaprint is a dichromated colloid process similar to gum, where the colloid happens to be egg whites. There are many examples available online. I've tried both temperaprint and gum with acrylic paint and I find them both lacking, but it is a matter of taste. For me, the opaque nature of the acrylic process limits what I feel to me a fundamental advantage of gum: the ability to allow colors to shine through subsequent layers. The result is a "poster-like" effect that CAN be very effective (and the online examples will demonstrate that). In my experience, edge effects are very difficult to bring off. as the acrylic paint seems to harden on its own in areas where one might expect it to be more soluble. The result is All-or-Nothing. There is no paint, or there is paint, but not the subtle variances that one gets with watercolor.

If there is interest, I can post some examples of some (unsuccessful) attempts I have made with acrylic pigments and gum.

Keith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My interest in particular is [was] that this Ink! product has an ideal CMY set... [10 minutes go by] ...but I see now that the same pigments are available in Winsor & Newton's watercolors.
    Last edited by holmburgers; 08-26-2011 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin