Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,556   Online: 997

Shooter
    Multi Format

Papers for Alt Printing?

Hi all. I know this is a subject that often gets beaten to death so let me first say that my intention is not to re-hash whats already been said. Many of the previous conversations are not current (papers discussed are no longer available in many cases) and some convos have gotten rather convoluted and it's hard to pick out the important bits so I'm looking for a little concise assistance and recommendations here.

My stock of paper is low so recently I've been looking for a new paper for Cyanotype (my paper doesn't seem to be available anymore). I've read a number of posts here and over on DPUG talking about the new Arches Platine and how it compares to the old batch. I've used the Bergger paper in the past for Cyanotype very successfully but never for pt/pl and now it seems that paper may be unavailable. In addition to looking for a new Cyanotype paper I am looking for a paper for Pt/Pl. I understand that it is very much a matter of personal preference and I also understand that many people take extra steps like acidification or a water pre-coat. I am just wondering if there are particular papers that are available favorites at the moment. Im speaking specifically for printing Pt/Pl and Cyanotype. I don't want to rehash everyone's personal process, I'm just looking for tips on the two best papers (recommendations) to pick up to begin testing for my Pt/Pl and Cyanotype processes.

Thank you for the help!
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Papers for alt process is a topic that always needs updating because of additions/discontinuations and new batches. I think the new Magnani Revere Platinum is worth trying for both Pt/Pd and cyanotype. I've had good experiences with both processes. Additionally, I've heard (mostly) good things about the new Arches Platine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the best paper for the process to Carbon Transfer ?
    I've tested a lot but I always look the best ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Francesco,

You may want to look at Freestyles new section on papers in the current catalog or look for them on line in the paper section. I am sure that this paper section will be growing in size and information.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Recently I started to wonder what it would be like if there was no good paper available. I went to the local art store and got a few samples, some Arches Cover and Arches Watercolor and Rives BFK and some strathmore drawing paper. I have come to the conclusion that the problem a lot of papers have is the non acidic sizing. For all the samples I tried pre brushing (till they were wet) with 10% Oxalic Acid. Then after drying them and coating them and re drying them, I steamed the heck out of them till they were limp. Then I exposed them. Actually they all came out acceptable. Maybe not quite a good as the old Crane's cover but good in their own way and they all had an acceptable density in the black. Even the Rives BFK with it's relatively heavy surface texture made a nice print. In ways the Rives is actually really good and the texture can be good in the image. It came with a very dense black and very smooth tones, as well as a deckeled edge on one side. The texture was not good in blank sky but was good every where else.
    I think for platinum printing if you are willing to acidify and humidify the paper you can make a lot of papers work.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dennis,

I have looked at and tested papers for a long time, as a matter fact next year marks 30 years of printing pt/pd. Looking for the perfect paper is an on going job. If they make the perfect paper are we willing to buy 70,000 to a 100,000 lbs of paper. It nice when a mill is willing to make what what we want. But the last time I looked it was 24/25euros a sheet. If I sold a lot of print is may be worth it. A few Mills are trying to make use happy, by crafting something close to what we want/need and that's fine. But we can't have every thing. So let's work and those that support us. And yes spent some money on the products they are making.

The new Platine is working nicely. Stonehenge can work with some help. But we still need to do some testing. I spent about 6 to 8 weeks doing just that. Lots of paper and lots of pt/pd.

Jan Pietrzak

ZUU

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently tried Magnani Revere Platinum as Barry S suggested, and found it worked really nice. I'm always sad when good papers get discontinued.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin