Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,918   Online: 1012

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know if anyone has ever collected any data to see if there is a "sweet spot" for moisture content of a sensitized tissue.

This is what I was referring to by "conditioning"; some specified moisture content may not be particularly sweet, but if it affects the chemistry, it would be nice to have it the same every time. "Fully" dehydrating (silica gel, molecular sieve, etc.) for storage and then conditioning to a predetermined moisture content (calcium nitrate slush, etc.) might be a worthwhile technic. I haven't worked with carbon tissue, but I understand that it is plasticized with sucrose, which would seem to be most effective if not completely dry.

Regarding refrigerators, I was thinking of the dorm-room size, or maybe one of the under-the-bar refrigerators.

Shooter
    35mm
    ^^^ Exactly.

But since you're going to condition the tissues, might as well figure out what the optimum moisture content is.

--Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, assuming you have "completely" dehydrated a tissue, how long would it take to acclimate to the ambient moisture? Couple minutes, an hour or two, ...?

Did I catch a pun in there... sweet spot and sucrose?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Also, assuming you have "completely" dehydrated a tissue, how long would it take to acclimate to the ambient moisture? Couple minutes, an hour or two, ...?
    I would guess it would be on the order of hours. Might depend on how hygroscopic your additives are. If you had an analytical balance, you could completely dry the tissue, weigh it dry, and then monitor it's weight over time and see for yourself. Balance would probably need to be sub-milligram accurate.

This is just conjecture on my part, but I suspect it would be quicker to drive a tissue with excess moisture to equilibrium than a completely dry tissue to the same equilibrium point. Since heat could be used with a damp tissue to drive water from the tissue, but I'm not sure that a warm environment could be used to drive moisture into the tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Did I catch a pun in there... sweet spot and sucrose?
    NO...I only use glycerin, no sugar.

--Greg
    Last edited by gmikol; 02-16-2012 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin