Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,224   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

PT/PD Printing for Dummies Like me?

I have been thinking about trying my hand at PT/PD printing for a while now. I ordered Dick's book, but it just makes my head spin. I've been looking for a simple no nonsense set of instructions for a simpleton like me.

I came across the following link.

http://www.platinumphotographer.com/plat.html

It makes sense to me, but is it correct?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I have been thinking about trying my hand at PT/PD printing for a while now. I ordered Dick's book, but it just makes my head spin. I've been looking for a simple no nonsense set of instructions for a simpleton like me.

I came across the following link.

http://www.platinumphotographer.com/plat.html

It makes sense to me, but is it correct?

Brian
    Brian, the information in the site is correct if a little outdated. You can certainly do pt/pd without sensitometry, it is a little bit harder but not impossible. Kerik does beautiful work and I think he uses little sensitometry.

One thing about the contrast grade chart the guy presents. I beleive it is the same as Arentz's, you dont want to use the higher grades, they usually produce grainy prints. The best thing is to have a good negative, if anything err on the side of over exposure and higher dievelopment than trying to fix it at printing time with the contrast solutions. Ideally you want to use solution numbers 7 and below. Once you get more experience if you like it, you can start using restrainer in the developer or sodium platinate as a restrainer instead of solution number 2.

Do not use a hole sheet to make printing time tests. Coat a sheet, cut it in 3 parts and use one of the strips to make exposure tests.

Most important is not to get discouraged if the initial prints dont come out good, with a little perseverance you will get the hang of it and you will be hooked.

Good luck and PM me if you need any help.

PS, I forgot to mention, for your negatives start with 2/3 more exposure than what you usually use and about 20% more developing time. The neg should look dense unless you are using a pyro developer. I would say it is better to start with a non staining developer like HC110 and then move on to something you like better. HC110 is certainly capable of producing enough contrast with TMX 400.

IOW, a negative that would print too hot in grade 1 paper, would probably work for pt/pd.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Platinum

Your best bet is to take a class with someone who knows their stuff. Why fiddle around with expensive materials. There is NO big secret to Plat/Palad printing; it just depends how well you want do it. Some books:THE NEW PLATINUM PRINT;BY SULLIVAN AND WEESE; PLATINUM PRINTING BT ARENTZ; AND THE KEEPERS OF LIGHT- A CLASSIC FOR MANY ALT PROCESSES. I"m sure if you posted interest on APUG you could find someone willing to teach you
    Good luck!
    Peter

Images
    I think I may make a go of it and just see how it works. I've got several negs that print well with AZO, so they should be in the ballpark... well at least in the same zip code as the ballpark.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I think I may make a go of it and just see how it works. I've got several negs that print well with AZO, so they should be in the ballpark... well at least in the same zip code as the ballpark.

Brian
    Azo negs should work just fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Peter

Funny you should say that, I am doing a workshop for the Univ California Santa Cruz in Santa Clara the first of next month. November 5-6-7 sooo Brian there's your workshop. You can pm me for any questions.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lol, I was just going to messenge Brian with Jan's name and info. I can't be at Jan's workshop, becasue of one I helping with in a few days after that one. You'll like Jan, Brian. He is a hoot to be around. More the American version of Les.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian,

Your post is very timely. I have just returned from an introductory platinum/palladium workshop with Kerik Kouklis (www.kerik.com) and have nothing but praise. I had never considered the title "Platinum Printing for Dummies", but Kerik's approach almost qualifies as it is very intuitive and non-threatening. He makes the process remarkably approachable. In fact, it almost seems downright simple.

Dick Arentz's approach (so I'm told) is very "by the numbers". If you're not the quantitative type, it's not surprising that his book "makes your head spin". Kerik is much more qualitative and intuitive. There is no sensitometry involved. Both are excellent photographers and printers. But they approach the medium very differently. I have a feeling that you'd respond well to Kerik's teaching.

I've posted one of my early results in my personal gallery. I've got a long way to go, but I was able to get something reasonable the first time out. It's very encouraging and very exciting. It's also a lot of fun!

Best,
    Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Kerik and Jan are great teachers (I know them both) and I'll offer my services as well.

I teach one-on-one tutorials in San Francisco.

see www.platinotype.com (page is dated) or contact me at wmlaven@platinotype.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan on trying platinum in the future. My problem has always been having to rely on a densitometer. I would rather get a feel for what is a good negative by sight. Then I have no problem with mixing chemicals or such. What I have problems with is having instructions told to me, or reading them in a book without seeing a demo. I am a firm believer in demo's for dummies. I admit it, I am a visual person. I need to see it done.

Brian, you and Alp if you could wait til Jan. I would gladly do the workshop then with both of you. If not I can say Jan's course is going to be nearly in your back yard for closeness. Kerik I really respect, having seen some of his work. I don't know wmlaven, but I am sure he does well too. We are all just lucky that we have such good options so close to us.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin