Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 816

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes we have a variety of samples. Not all are good prints due to the fact that we are constantly experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Hi Dick, just introduced myself over at your forum this last week. That article you posted regarding toning cyanotypes with copper was quite interesting and I foresee experimentation with that soon. This new selenium-tungstate toner; do you have any prints in your shop done with this process? I'd love to take a look.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    We sell it and are working on a wet colloidal solution with other things in it like acidification, surfactants etc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Prior to coating.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Wow- very cool stuff! I will definitely have to give some of this a try. Question- do you apply the fumed silica prior to coating, or to a finished, developed and fixed print? Can you use it with any alt process, or does it work best only with specific processes?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dick--I think it's great that you're exploring new and improved alternative processes. I've been following some of this on the carbon forum and bought some fumed silica to experiment with after you first posted your results. I highly recommend a good quality respirator for anyone experimenting with the dry powder and look forward to the availability of an aqueous preparation. The selenium tungstate toner is intriguing--it's frustrating to negate the advantages an inexpensive process like salt printing with expensive gold toner. Hope you can get this into your store soon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richsul View Post
    O

Fumed Silica

Techniques developed at B+S: A finely divided quarts powder that that in liquid form or dry can be applied to art paper to improve dmax and resolution. Josh Partridge of the Cunningham Trust is now using it to print his grandmother's work.
    Hi Richard

Thanks for posting this do you have any dmax numbers that you and Josh are getting using fumed silica. Or even scans of prints with and without using this new technique.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I believe there is one of Josh's in the Fumed Silica notes at the very end. It is a curve. He uses LAB Color. I may have others he sent via email and I'll look for them. In Lab Color he the best he had gotten was a 17 on normal paper like CO320 or Platine. With silica he was able to get a 25 but backed off to a 22 as he was getting too many brush marks with the overload of silica.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Oops. I think I posted them in the previous post. Look there.

--Dick

Shooter
    8x10 Format

I've added a link to the original patent.

Not that that will help much. Patents are designed to protect the idea not allow someone to duplicate it. Early ones are worse, but there is some technical details in this one. Lumiere was in direct competition with Edison.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does the silica treatment give your pt/pd prints the "wet look" again?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The look, especially if you use a lot of silica, is a black velvet look. The blacks are very velvety.

Josh said he talked to a physicist (I think his brother) and the phenomenon as he described it was that as the light hits the print it is immediately diffused by the quarts and does not bounce straight back so it appears blacker. I suppose its the same with black velvet.

If anyone out there is doing watercolors, I'd love to hear back on how it works with that medium.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin