Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,097   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Bostick & Sullivan-- new developments in Alt Photo

Ok, you'll have to do some detective work as I am not allowed to post links until I have five posts but you should be able to find them. Don't go to the old blog go to the new one that at the carbon works.

If not email me and I'll email back the link to the blog.

Fumed Silica

Techniques developed at B+S: A finely divided quarts powder that that in liquid form or dry can be applied to art paper to improve dmax and resolution. Josh Partridge of the Cunningham Trust is now using it to print his grandmother's work.

The Athenatype

This is a silver process that uses guanidine ferric oxalate. A strong POP image, develops in water, does not bleach back in the fix, and is predictable in outcome.

Included in this doc.

The making of guanidine ferric oxalate and coating with silica

Selenium-tungstate toner for metallic silver images

This toner looks and acts like a gold toner. The colors run from a rich brown to neutral black to blue black with no yellow staining of the highlights that is typical of selenium toners. Made with a thiosulfate free selenium solution and a tungsten carrier. Stunning colors at a tenth the price of gold.

We fully document, formulas and all, a new toner replacing gold, silica quartz sizing enhancer, and a new easy to use POP water developed, predictable silver process among other interesting items.

Other new things include:

A complete description of the making of Autochrome plates. Yes, how to make them, not just how to develop any you have laying down.

A 1908 doctoral dissertation of the Lippmann Process. How to make full color images on a glass plate of a single layer of panchromatic emulsion. Lippmann got the only Nobel Prize ever awarded for a photographic process in 1908.

Lots of other goodies as well as a few rants from me.

--Dick Sullivan HonFRPS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean the pdf booklet download at the bottom of the page here?
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/

edit:
    opps maybe the new Lumen blog here

http://thecarbonworks.com/blog/

btw: Thank you Mr Sullivan for all you guys & gals do.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Where is it possible to buy Fumed Silica ??

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Dick, just introduced myself over at your forum this last week. That article you posted regarding toning cyanotypes with copper was quite interesting and I foresee experimentation with that soon. This new selenium-tungstate toner; do you have any prints in your shop done with this process? I'd love to take a look.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow- very cool stuff! I will definitely have to give some of this a try. Question- do you apply the fumed silica prior to coating, or to a finished, developed and fixed print? Can you use it with any alt process, or does it work best only with specific processes?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Great Blog and good name, "Swings and Tilts".
    I'm also interested in the fumed silica. One art supplier I checked wanted only $12 for a quart but $40 to ship.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Where to Buy Fumed Silica

Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    Where is it possible to buy Fumed Silica ??
    All over the place, man! Google Trade Namrs Aerocil and Cabosil

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Richard,
    Are you gonna talk about all this at A.I.P.I.S. ? I fogot how to read. I can only write. I also forgot how to listen, only talh. Peraps signe language?
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to be a wet blanket (and I say this with a smile) but the Autochrome instructions are nothing more than a basic description of their design. I was hoping for something really in depth.

Quote, "Yes, how to make them"

You got my hopes up!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sorry I made 2 spelling mistakes. Cabosil and Aerosil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin