Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,588   Posts: 1,545,869   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

HIE, EIR infrared film, where to have processed?

Hi. Can anyone suggest where I might send my Kodak HIE or EIR film to be processed? I am in Louisiana, so the closer the better. Though I imagine I wil have to mail it regardless. Which further presents the question, how should I mail it? Obviously, the quicker the better to avoid heat sensitivity issues. What about xrays? Is that a concern when shipping? Any other packaging suggestions would be appreciated. But most important, where do I send it? Thanks everybody.

Shooter
    35mm
    Film Rescue International comes pretty highly recommended on here for older processes. I believe EIR is an E-4 process film, which you cannot get done at your local lab. IIRC, HIE is a B&W film, if it's been stored well and isn't too far out of date so you might try processing that yourself (or a local lab that does B&W can do it but as you are probably aware they need to turn their IR sensors off since it's an IR film).

ME Super

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately, I am still quite a novice despite my enthusiasm. Though I have been taking photographs forever and I am constantly trying to improve, I am afraid darkroom skills I have not, as of yet anyway. Also considering what I have read in regards to sensitivity and the amount of care that must go into dealing with this film, I would prefer not take it to any old black and white developer, but to someone who has a good deal of experience with this type of work. Especially considering they don't make HIE or EIR anymore. But, Film Rescue Itl. sounds like it might be worth looking into. Thank you for your reply. Other input is welcome and appreciated from all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not use just any lab doing B&W. It's more than just turning off the IR sensors - the film canister cannot come out of the can in the light. Though it's very easy to do yourself - just as easy as any B&W film. If you really don't want to try it yourself, the Film Rescue International sounds like a good option - maybe they can tell you the best way to ship it to them, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    EIR can also be developed normal E6. You just need to make sure the lab doesn't use IR illumination in the darkroom. HIE is developed like normal B&W. You can take the canister out in normal light when it is fully rewound. You don't want to do that when the leader is still sticking out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you to those who have replied. I checked into Film Rescue International. It seems like a pretty awesome company. However, I gather that they primarily specialize in long expired film. Though expired, my film has been kept in the freezer and is only a few years past its date. Again, though apparantly a reputable and admirable company, Film Rescue might be a bit of overkill in my situation, and possibly just slightly more money than I need to spend to get the job done. As for EIR having the ability to be processed with the E-6 process, and HIE processable as one would process any other black and white film, I am aware of this information. However, the several labs that I have contacted, that do indeed offer E-6 and B/W processing, claim that they are unable to help me and it is my opinion that if I have to explain to them that they just may be capable of doing so, they likely have no experience with the film and therefore would be questionable, if not altogether unsuitable, for the task. There is one other company whose name I have come across while scrolling through forum postings. Peak Imaging in the UK seems to have a great reputation and, judging by the samples I have seen of their work, I can see why. If I am unable, by Wednesday, to locate anybody within the US who sounds promising, I will send it to Peak. Again, thank you everybody and I remain open to further input.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Where are you located? It seems absurd that you have to send two films that are developed in normal chemistries to either Film Rescue or out of the US. Try NCPS. For the HIE, Blue Moon Camera should certainly do it - I think they do B&W by hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A local professional lab can do them, but make sure they know it is IR or else they can get fogged.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There surely is a decent local lab in New Orleans that can still do custom b/w and color. If you keep on striking out locally, give Dodge/Chrome a call here in Maryland. http://www.dodgechrome.com/
    They can handle just about anything. For your EIR, worst case scenario, you could try calling the Johns Hopkins University's Medical Imaging lab in Baltimore. They were one of only three or four labs in the US running the old E-4 line when EIR was still on the old base, and would take in customers off the street. Now that EIR is on E-6, and lots of medical imaging has gone digital, they may not be doing it any more, but it would be worth a query.

Shooter
    35mm
    Aha! I just learned something. After calling Blue Moon, and inquiring as to whether or not their machine for cross processing EIR with the C-41 process, had infrared sensors that might fog my film, I was told this. The machine that they use would indeed fog my film, as it does use infrared light. I imagine this would be the same if I had it processed in E-6. However, the woman, who was quite helpful, informed me that the proper equipment for processing the EIR without fogging it is called "dip and dunk" equipment, which, I noticed Dodge Chrome specifically indicates that they use. I suppose, based on what I have learned, that the difference in whether or not a lab can develop this film has more to do with the equipment they use than soley with the processes that they offer. This, I suppose, is why I am running into so many labs that say they cannot do the job. Thank you everybody. I am sending both my HIE and my EIR to Dodge Chrome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin