Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,167   Online: 1082

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Litho film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check with Jim Fitzgerald - he uses X-ray film quite a lot for his carbon printing.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb82 View Post
    litho film is expensive, more than what I was expecting. Regarding Xray film? can someone confirm if the film needs to be Fixed before hand?
    I use x-ray film for my tissue support and yes I do fix it out before hand. It is nice in that it is re usable and the 10x12 stuff is great for 8x10 negatives. Gives you extra room. I use it for my 11x14 and 8x20 also. For these sizes I use the 14x36 stuff. For my 14 x17 images I use some old RC paper from a 16" roll. Hope this helps.

BTW I tried the 16x20 lith film from Photo Warehouse and it is to thin from my 14x17 work. The film creases badly when making tissue and it is to thin to handle IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim, I am going to buy some 10x12 x Ray and start giving it a try with 8x10 negs. So far I have been playing around with 4x5 negatives only.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Let me know if I can help with any questions you may have.

Use Yupo sheets or pads. The stuff lasts forever.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Use Yupo sheets or pads. The stuff lasts forever.
    Andrew what weight do you use? thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim--I've been using sheets of the 74 lb. Yupo for carbon support and it's been working well for me.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Jim--I've been using sheets of the 74 lb. Yupo for carbon support and it's been working well for me.
    Barry, thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For smaller negs (up to 8x10), this is a cheap alternative:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...r-Plain-Paper/

or similar products -- I have used the Office Depot brand...just happened to find a box so I gave it a go.

It is 8.5x11 -- it can work for 8x10 negs, but is a little on the small size. But I have used it with little or no problems for 8x10 negs -- but you don't have much wiggle room. Nice thickness -- similar to litho film. No preparation needed...use right out of the box. It can be reused a few times.

X-ray film does work well, but it is thicker, and I found that, as Jim mentioned, a little extra room is nice when using thicker support material. More care is needed when stripping off the x-ray film from the final support during developing due to its thickness. A longer soak in the hot water before removing it from the final support helps.

Vaughn

PS -- Jim, I have used litho film for 11x14 negatives (tissue size 12x15) with no problems...except finding 16x20 litho old enough to feel good about fixing it out...LOL!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-20-2011 at 01:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Vaughn, I've got a box of 16x20 Lith film but it is too thin. I cut it to 15x18 for the 14x17 negatives and it wrinkles and causes problems. I am using some old roll paper that is 16' wide but re-using my substrate is standard procedure for me. I love the x-ray film because it hols up a long, long time and is cheap. I guess I'll take a piece of x-ray film to Dick Blick's to compare to the Yupo. I only need it for the 14x17 negatives. Makes a huge difference using a stiffer tissue when transferring a large image.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin