Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,637   Online: 898

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

photo emulsion peeling away from canvas

hi
    I have been trying to burn photo on canvas covered with liquid photo emulsion and tone it with sepia. the photo go ok through all processing stages, and bleaching. Unfortunately after thiourea bath when I start rinsing the emulsion is going away.

I painted the canvas with alkyd primer, I use Fotospeed sepia toner and Fotospeed photo emulsion.

I am desperately looking for a solution to this problem and I hoped I could use your experience guys.

I would really appreciate any ideas and/or suggestions

thank you
    Wojciech Szczygiel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope you find your answer. One photographer here that does a fair bit of liquid emulsion is Emil Schildt. He goes under the name of Gandolfi here. You may wish to send him a personal message.

Good luck!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks Thomas, I know Emil's website (magnificent work BTW). I will wait another while and if won't get an answer I will do what you suggest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you harden the coating with either chrome alum or glyoxal?

That is required in most all cases. Also, you may need to use a hardening fix.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Fotospeed emulsion as it was (so probably without any hardener) and yes I used kodak fixer with hardener but that did not helped much. I have just received Czeck emulsion from foma which has hardener in separate bottle so I am going to give it a go tonight, I will also try to keep more consistent temperature during washing and wash more thoroughly (could remaining fixer cousing this problem?) and use wash aid and if that fails... well- i dont know what then...

I will write tomorrow what the outcomes will be

thank you PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    problem solved, my fault- I ignored Kodak instructions and was not fixing sufficiently long (5min instead of 10): probably hardener in fixer did not have enough time to harden the emulsion. Thank you it is great to be here having such a great professional support.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin