Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,739   Posts: 1,515,537   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

An alternative to gelatin.

Hey guys,

After years of shooting 35mm and medium format I've recently discovered a passion for large format photography.
    I've been wanting to take a stab at coating my own plates and was wondering if there is an emulsion that can be brewed that contains no gelatin. As a vegetarian I thought it would be a fun project to take up.

Cheers Patrick.

P.S. I understand that the only way to avoid all animal products is to move into an Igloo and gnaw on pine cones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah right... the Inuit are some of the best meat eaters out there...

wildbillbugman (Bill Winkler) has been doing a lot of work on exactly this thing. See this thread.

And here's a brief primer on how to select a medium.

Now, if you're the kind of vegetarian that eats fish, maybe fish gelatin is the thing for you! Check this out.

Or I guess you could pick up the collodion process. The only living-thing ingredient there is cotton.

Best of luck.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Patrick,
    If you wish, I will send you a specific formula and procedure for a blue-sensitive emulsion based on commercial silane treated PVA. I am currently waiting for a delivery of silver nitrate and have not made an emulsion since September. I have had other things I had to do. If you are interested in ortho or panchro emulsions, I can send info on that too. But I strongly recommend doing a simple blue sensitive emulsion first. BTW- Bostick and Sullivan now carry Kuraray R1100 silane funtional PVA.
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Patrick,

If not, you can always shred the new $100 Canadian banknotes, when released. I believe they are being made of the same material.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, I am a vegetarian and am very cognizant of the hypocrasy which I am guilty of. I do wish there was a 'way out' of the dilemma. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Can vegans eat their own words?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gelatin supplies 2 important functions in emulsion making. Gelatin functions as a peptizing agent and as a vehicle.

As a peptizer, it prevents silver halide from falling to the bottom of your beaker in one lump or a few large lumps. Instead, gelatin suspends the crystals in a creamy mixture.

As a vehicle, it supplies a viscous "melt" that can be coated and hardened and which remains intact through the processing procedure. It must be transparent and colorless.

If you select a material for emulsion making it must do all of the above. At EK we never found a single polymer that could do all of the above. We found two families of polymers that supplied the features of a peptizing agent and as a vehicle individually. That is about it.

Bill has had some success with the Silanes. I hope this is of use to all of us.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    holmburgers: thank you for the links.
    wildbillbugman: Thank you, I would appreciate the formula and procedure for the blue-sensitive emulsion based on commercial silane.
    CRhymer: I can't wait to pick up some new 100$ and make a trip to NYC.
    David Lyga: its a hard line to draw.
    Vaughn: Deciding where to draw the line is an interesting experience. You tend to learn a lot about yourself.
    Photo Engineer: Thanks for explanation about its function when you say you worked at EK where was that?

Thank you everybody for your help.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickdufour View Post
    CRhymer: I can't wait to pick up some new 100$ and make a trip to NYC.
    Hello Patrick,

Well I just got back from Rochester, NY (I live in Fort Smith, NT, X0E 0P0) and I found that my old pre-PVA 100$'s bought a lot more there than they do here North of 60. I believe Kuraray is the supplier of the plastic for the notes. (I am not making this up - 'though I may be mistaken).

Salut,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickdufour View Post
    Photo Engineer: Thanks for explanation about its function when you say you worked at EK where was that?

Thank you everybody for your help.
    I won't presume to answer for Ron (aka Photo Engineer), except to give Patrick a sort of hint:

Ron's name is attached to one of the main patents related to Kodachrome, and he lives in Rochester, New York.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin