Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,711   Online: 963

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would agree with Michael's estimation for number of tubes. I personally built something similar to the rig in Sullivan and Wesse' book: 12 20w BLB tubes, well-ventilated. Perfectly sized for a 16x20 print frame.

My own $.02 worth: build a large box. The convenience of being able to print multiple prints or test strips is worth using a 16x20 frame, and you can always put switches on ballasts to control two bulbs at a time. I print on two 10x12 sheets of paper simultaneously...a huge time and energy (thanks for pointing out the eco-stuff, Michael) saver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Safety Goggles

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Wear safety goggles when exposing. Adjustments to these recommendations are acceptable within limits.

---Michael
    You know it may be common sense, but this is the first time I have seen any comment about Safety Goggles while using one of these units. Thanks for one more positive Michael. Also, helps explain why an enclosed unit might be safer than an open frame.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To bring this long lost thread to date, can I ask what the exposure times are for this method of exposure? Any times for Carbon Transfer? I'm still looking for a deluxe unit but may have to build one of these. I was going to get a single bulb but the wattage was discontinued.
    I have seen the Edwards Engineering unit which looks well built, still holding out for a NuArc though.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    To bring this long lost thread to date, can I ask what the exposure times are for this method of exposure? Any times for Carbon Transfer? I'm still looking for a deluxe unit but may have to build one of these. I was going to get a single bulb but the wattage was discontinued.
    I have seen the Edwards Engineering unit which looks well built, still holding out for a NuArc though.

There is really no way to answer your question because exposure depends both on the output of the light, the thickness and color of the carbon tissue, the density range of your negatives, and the strength sensitizer that is used.

If you use a NuArc and the B&S regular renaissance black tissue your exposure times should be five minutes or less. Homemade tissue is usually thicker and gives more relief but exposure times are generally around 8-15 minutes with a light source like the NuArc.

I use thick homemade tissue, print with very high density range negatives of log 3.0 or higher, and sensitize with a strong dichromate solution (6-8% dichromate diluted 1:1 with acetone) and print with a ULF-28 platemaker. My exposure times average about 300 units, where one unit = 1.5 seconds.

Sandy King

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, send me a PM if interested in a unit with 7 24" tubes. I build one a couple of years ago and it has seen no use since i bought a Nuarc.
    Comes with an extra tube.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow how things have changed since I posted this a few days ago, thank you Sandy and Jan for the help, yesterday I bought a NuArc 26-1K and it will be here in less than a week. I'm glad it's complete with a stand, no bending or counter space to worry about. I did order some Renaissance black tissue from B&S to start out but I'll be making my own tissue very soon. I first started getting interested when I saw Sandy's images in print and then took a workshop with Vaughn and now I'm going to take a workshop in February with Per Volquarts and Jim Fitzgerald on Carbon Transfer and Platinum printing. It's been a huge turn for me, I've never been interested before but after seeing the prints of Vaughn's up close I was hooked.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    Put a bright white (not specular) metal reflector behind the lamps and tie it into the ground of the fixture.

---Michael
    May I ask what different materials may be used for this!??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin