Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,759   Online: 930

Shooter
    Medium Format

Alternative processes for negatives?

This is going to sound potentially stupid but are there any alternative processes to make negatives as opposed to prints? i have seen many amazing photos using many laternative processes but they all seem to be done at the printing stage. I dont have a darkrooma bu develop my own film at home so was wondering if there are any processes just for creating negatives at all?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not sure exactly what you mean but calotypes, collodion process, the dryplates comes to mind as "alternative" for making negatives today.

Have a look at http://www.thelightfarm.com/ for some (a lot!) of info on dryplates for example.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the link. sorry, i wasn't being too clear. i'm basically asking if there's anything processing i can do to my negatives apart from the usual c41/e6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since exposed film has to be developed in a way that makes the negs viable, options are severely limited. Alternative processes are better done in the printing stage. However, you can still try developing film in "alternative" chemistry, like cross-processing E6 in C-41, or developing B&W or C-41 in Caffenol.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For regular negatives, you've got a ton of options with traditional B&W film. it's really overwhelming. Go to the digital truth massive development chart, and check out the developer option list. This is actually about half of what's commonly available to process B&W film. The other place to check is photographers formulary, where they make lots of old and obscure and modern developer variations. One could spend the rest of their life testing developers instead of shooting if they wanted. Film is developed easily without a darkroom. You just need a dark place or purpose made bag for unreeling the film from the rolls and putting it into the development reels.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin