Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,052   Online: 879

Shooter
    Medium Format

Simultaneous bleaching and toning for cyanotypes?

Has anyone tried it? I mean putting a cyanotype print in a mixture of tea and... let's say sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) - AFAIK it's the most easily accessable cyanotype bleach

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is that it would work, and you'd get a purple tone with dingy highlights. I guess that because when I purple tone cyanotypes, I go back and forth between sodium carbonate solution and tannic acid solution or black tea. When I do this, it is quite a sloppy affair, yet it doesn't seem to matter if there is any contamination or not.

That being said, if you go far enough with tea toning, you do get a similar purple anyhow. It just takes a lot longer.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So it would be better to do both processes separately?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you are confusing baking soda with washing soda. Washing soda is a good bleach for cyano, baking soda less so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you could take your baking soda, and bake it at a low temp
    to force the water out of it, and "convert" it to washing soda

the my favorite way to bleach back cyanotypes is weak washing soda
    in water, and a paint brush. if i leave it in a bath, it takes too long,
    or goes to fast, so i use a paint brush and then a water bath to rinse ...

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

If subjected to acidic conditions, the alkali bleached cyanotype may regain some density. (The alkali bleaching action is - to some extent - reversible...) In other words, that bleaching methor is not "permanent", therefore, beware!

If you want to bleach the cyanotype permanently, you can use a relatively strong (20% IIRC...) solution of oxalic acid.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rusbarsky View Post
    I think you are confusing baking soda with washing soda. Washing soda is a good bleach for cyano, baking soda less so.
    Thanx, but I still know the difference between bicarbonate and carbonate. And believe me, where I live washing soda is not very popular, so baking soda is much more easily affordable.

John, it sounds like fun, I'll give it a try.

My whole idea was to reduce the bleaching/tonning process to a single bath. I suppose that the tonning will take place simultaneously with the bleaching.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin