Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,346   Online: 1216

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron, do you mean at EKC?

Did you guys ever do any actual work?

Well pretty & colorful crystals are what we need for this to work.. 'just need a bit more know-how when it comes to crystals.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am going to be forced to stop reading this forum.. To many interesting ideas are coming forth and I have Shinny Object Syndrome and cant resist takink an interest in the ideas.

Cheers,
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, no, you mustn't stop reading! I need smart folks like you to take an interest in the ideas, and maybe someday they'll actually grow legs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris;

I got a kit for crystal growing when I was about 10 and grew these colorful things in a clear glass jar. The kit had the ingredients which included some common chemicals and I think one of the was glycerine. Anyhow, I recreated it about 5 years later with the help of a friendly pharmacist. I grew some again in blue, red, yellow and green.

I remember it was simple abut I can't remember the chemistry.

You dumped the salts into water and they did not dissolve right away. Then you added a liquid to the container and as the salts tried to dissolve, they formed colored "mountains" growing upwards from the bottom until they began to topple from their own weight. It was a very interesting and exciting thing to show to friends.

I never did it again, and never at EK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I have been forcing myself to not even think about this whole concept.
    Alas, I am powerless when it comes to shiny sparkly things.

This "crystal recipes" website might offer some ideas.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holmburgers,

My kids did some crystal growing a couple of years ago: http://www.anikin.com//photos/read.2...DSC_7804.b.jpg

I was thinking in similar terms as you did. Basically, make a cyanotype as a seed image, and then use crystals to grow on it. If it works, if should be really beautiful! One day if I get some spare time I might try it...

Eugene.
    Last edited by anikin; 01-03-2012 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Ian, thanks for the link. The chrome alum one is tempting since I've got some, though copper sulfate sure is purty..

This guy seems to know a thing or two about crystals... http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/crystals.htm ...and he even uses potassium chromate (quite fond of that one), potassium dichromate (doesn't mention any health risks, hmm) and potassium ferricyanide, to name just a few.

I'm tempted to email him.

Ron, don't know why I assumed you did that at Kodak!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin