Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,787   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Prints Composed of Crystals - Growing crystals in situ with the image

File this under crazy ideas, but I had a "waking dream" and the result was this...

A crystalline print

A number of chemicals will grow fantastically colored crystals, and I'd like to employ them (or at least devise a method) to make an image.

Sure you could crush up crystals, inbed them in gelatin and make a carbon print, but I want the crystals to grow from the print.

I frankly don't know how to do it, but Ian H. had a good idea. Using a "dusting-on" process you could sprinkle seed crystals on a gelatin relief, harden it and then soak this in a saturated solution of the chemical to grow the crystals.

You could then varnish the print with gelatin to protect it. Imagine a print like this, with tiny crystals growing out of it.

Anybody? Don't leave me hanging...

some inspriation -> http://www.corvi-mora.com/rogerhiorns_window.php?2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always enjoy reading your posts even though I never know what the hell you are talking about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the slow growth rate of crystals, I'm thinking growing them in-situ on photographic paper might be really difficult. Plus, how would one grow different crystals at the same time, or even serially without contaminating the crystals of other chemicals. I'd be more inclined to grow them separately, then sort/grade, arrange, and mount in a thick gelatin layer.

BTW, there was a kid in my high school class that grew crystals for a hobby. AFter we stopped laughing at him we actually noticed how interesting those crystals really are. I haven't done bad in my college education and carreer, but he has done FANTASTIC. Being a nerd really paid off for him!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    File this under crazy ideas, but I had a "waking dream" and the result was this...

A crystalline print

.... but Ian H. had a good idea. Using a "dusting-on" process you could sprinkle seed crystals on a gelatin relief, harden it and then soak this in a saturated solution of the chemical to grow the crystals.
    Seems that we were both reallllly busy at work today Chris
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

and this is why I post things like this! Thanks michael, brian and ian.

Ok Mssr. Shaw, I admit that you've already surpassed my knowledge of crystals; which consists of exactly 1 crystal growing kit, a white elephant gift.

I'd like crystals to grow in accordance with the image, that is, shadows will be the largest & densest crystals while lighter tones should consist of tiny & sparse crystals. Maybe by somehow creating an image of crystal "seeds" (perhaps by carbon or dusting on), subsequent soaking in a saturated solution would grow crystals in proportion to the image.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got important work to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was brainstorming this as I also sat here "working." Its not quite the same as you were thinking but maybe it will help open up the thought field....

My first thought was to create a kind of ferrotype, with the denser areas obviously having a greater concentration of iron. If you could somehow put a magnetic field across that, maybe a ferrofluid would respond to the increased flux and start to relfect the image - but the ferrofluids I have seen are jet black to tonal range would prob be an issue.

Second, a type of glass plate print in say salt that you could then put into an "vaporized" environment (like a fine mist sea sparay)that would allow crystal formation on top of it

Third,(and this is the good one ;-) another sort of print, on say an aluminum plate, that you could put a charge across with light/dark areas taking different values and by using an ion gun similar to when they make hi-rent telescope mirros, allow the deposited metal to adhere according to the charge field on the plate.

Good luck its a fun thing to think about - and now believe it or not, I have to go and inspect steel in a fuel oil tank. yuck.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just ran into this, look down towards the bottom about freezing the soluiton in place....

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...luids-work-you
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Powder Process / Dusting On

Hey nhemann, sorry I never responded to your posts on the topic.

I'm curious about your 3rd suggestion with the ion gun and charged aluminum plate.. that sounds interesting, though not for crystals right? A "patinograph" or some kind of image comprised of metal would be cool.

So Ian had suggested the dusting on procedure to me privately and I think that maybe if I learned a thing or two more about crystal growing that might work. The whole idea of dusting on, or powder processes, is to utilize those fabulous dichromates and their ability to harden and subsequently reduce the tackiness of an "organic body", i.e. gelatin, gum, etc.

Here are some formulas for dusting on from Wall & Bolas' Dictionary of Photography, Powder Process

Obernetter's Formula
    Dextrine .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 60 grs. [grains I guess?]
    White sugar .. .. .. .. .. .. 75 grs.
    Ammonium bichromate.. ... 30 grs.
    Glycerine .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 3 to 8 mins. [minims?]
    Distilled water .. .. ... .. .. . 3 ozs.

Woodbury's Formula
    Gum arabic .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 60 grs.
    Glucose .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . 45 grs.
    Glycerine .. .. .. .. .. .. ... . 10 mins.
    Potassium bichromate.. .. .. 30 grs.
    Distilled water .. .. .. .. ... .. 2 ozs.

It goes on to say, Mix by gently heating, filter, and preserve in a stoppered bottle. A plate is coated with either of the above solutions, and dried at a gentle heat, and then exposed under a positive... on removal from the printing frame a faint image is seen. The plate is then exposed to the air for a few minutes to allow it to absorb moisture , and fine plumbago [graphite], as used by electrotypers, is applied with a flat brush, when it adheres to those portions protected from light, and the lights and shades are represented more or less by a coating of graphite. When the image is fully developed, and there is no further adherence of the graphite, the superfluous powder is dusted off, the film is coated with collodion, and then well washed to removed the unacted-upon gum & bichromate...

So, maybe replace graphite with finely ground crystal "seed", let dry and soak in the appropriate solution long enough to grow crystals. Sounds easy enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a method for growing colored crystals of salts in various patterns that we used to use years ago. I've forgotten it all, but the crystals and colors were pretty.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does this stuff grow on you?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin