Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,564   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tintype/Ambrotype on Front Surface Mirror - Can it resemble a daguerreotype?

This is kind of a silly question, but I've been wondering it and well, I'm curious.

If you were to coat a positive collodion emulsion on a front surface mirror, or other highly polished & reflective surface, do you think it could replicate the look of a daguerreotype?

And likewise, would coating a piece of glass or japanned steel with liquid emulsion resemble an ambrotype/tintype? Isn't this what the Rockland Colloid tintype kit does??

thanks in advance for satiating my curiousity

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Collodion is pretty sticky stuff--it probably wouldn't be hard to coat a clean front surface mirror. Hopefully, it wouldn't be reactive in the silver bath. I think you'd get something that looks more like a freakish wet plate mirror than a dag. I've seen "tintypes" made with commercial liquid emulsion kits and they look fake to me. Fake in the sense it's a valid process, but only superficially resembling wet plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dags have a positive image and if you tilt them
    they have a negative image as well ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks guys.

But an ambro/tintype is also a negative image, like a dag.

I find it odd that Rockland says repeatedly "genuine" tintypes when clearly they're not.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For the sort of images that I think you are trying to emulate, you may wish to think more in terms of vapour deposit than collodian emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    thanks guys.

But an ambro/tintype is also a negative image, like a dag.

I find it odd that Rockland says repeatedly "genuine" tintypes when clearly they're not.
    actually there was a time period after wet plates were around
    that there were genuine silver gelatin tintypes, they weren't as popular
    as wet plate ones, but they did exist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that is news to me!

I kinda got hooked onto collodion by reading Photography and the American Scene by Taft. If only we could have another civil war... I'd be the first in line to become an itinerant tin-typer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kerik Koulis has done this, it makes a very cool image but no, it's not really like a Dag, its more fugitive for lack of a better word.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, it can definitely be done. Like Ike said, it isn't really like a dag other than it's on a reflective surface. They do look cool, though.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. Well, cool is a worthy endeavor in my book. How about that Halo-Chrome stuff? That looks interesting too, and I've seen it referred to as a Poor Man's Daguerreotype.

On a somewhat related note.. I was looking through old photo books at a used booked store and surprisingly the former owner had used some old prints as bookmarks. I have never seen a print with as much "sulfiding" as this one; so much so that it was strongly reflective and resembled a mirror. It was pretty coooool....

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin