Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,417   Posts: 1,596,675   Online: 995

Shooter
    Medium Format

UV Exposure unit question

Hi,
    Really interested in Alt Process but living in Michigan the sun is not the most consistent exposure source. Considering making or buying an exposure unit. Question is why couldn't I use a tanning unit? I realize it would take the right unit with the bulbs grouped pretty tightly but isnt it really about the same in terms of intensity? I could certainly build one but there are a ton of used tanning units out there that seem like they might do the job... is this a reasonable source?

Thanks for the time, regards
    Brian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    YOu can use a tanning unit, but they are very slow. Building one is now much simplified with the availability of CFL's producing UV. If you don't have a local source Google the bulb man. The last time I looked he had them.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim, I built one... was super easy and bulbman came thru. Built a unit big enough to handle a 16x20 frame with 8 BLB tubes. Hook up to an old gralab timer and it is a very effective solution. Thanks for your help. regards

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like you built a very good unit.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin