Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,160   Online: 830

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Can I use 20% ferric oxalate for platinum/palladium?

Hi folks,
    As the title suggests, can I use my kallitype ferric oxalate which is 20% with platinum/palladium which I normally use at 27%? Thanks for any help.
    Regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In theory, you should be able to use 135% of the normal drop count of ferric (27/20 ~ 135%) to the standard metal salt drop count and deal with the additional volume of water in the coating solution by drying the coated paper a little longer. So if you normally use 10 FO and 10 Pd metal solution, use 13-14 FO and 10 Pd metal solution. The water is just a carrier to get the chemicals to saturate the paper fibers, and it should be mostly dry once the paper reaches ambient humidity.

On the other hand, ferric is ridiculously cheap compared to the metal salt, so why not just buy some more ferric oxalate and avoid the dropper count math?
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Clay, it's not an economic decision but rather a time crunch decision to get this done this weekend and into the mail. All I have at the moment is a kallitype mix. I appreciate the math you provided. Thanks
    regards
    eRik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin