Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 783

Thread: Chiba system

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Chiba system

Has anyone on this site tried the Halvor Bjoerngaard's Chiba System (non toxic alternative to gum and carbon print) and if so how does it results compare to regular gum prints and carbon prints?

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sorry, but I can't help yet, but I just wanted to thank you for bring this to my attention. I'm always nervous when I use dichromate processes, for the health reasons. So once I run out of it, probably within the next month, I'll start experimenting with this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you try yet?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have, but I don't feel like I experimented with it enough to fairly comment on it. But I did notice the colors are truer to the actual watercolor pigments than gum prints, probably from the dichromate stain and unbleached gum I was using. I experimented with the direct gelatin variation. I made a glop more concentrated than I need (6-12% gel) and then I melt it, and dilute/mix (a portion at a time) with a AFC solution and coat it before it sets. Then expose it, and presoak it in a H2O2 solution before developing it with hot water, agitating like you would a carbon transfer print. I took a break from it because of the semester, but I'm going to start again later this week, after final exams. My impression is that the process would be nice for making 3 color prints (I'm hoping anyway).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hello Musila,

sorry I'm not a native english reader, what is the AFC solution?

Casper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's Ammonium Ferric Citrate dissolved in water.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin