Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,986   Online: 903

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if I 'need' to harden it, just would like to now how so I can try using harder ink in comparison to a softer ink in my learning stage. By what Jerevan said a matix soaked in warmer water will accept the softer ink better. (i could not get the harder 1803)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    my 2 cents:

the oils I have worked are all far too soft for using without hardening. That's why I use it.

I buy the magnesium carbonate in the same store where I buy the ink, but I have also in the past tried something ammonium - something (the actual name eludes me).

As I have never tried the aforementioned suggestions, I'll stick (pun intended) to the magnesium....

Clive: one reason to use hardener is, that it can be a means to highten/lower the contrast in the final bromoil..

(the stiffer ink, the higher contrast..)
    I think one of the problems here is that there are probably as many variables in the modus operandi of making Bromoils, as there are people making them. I have always found achieving low contrast bromoils more difficult than high contrast versions. I have posted one on the experimental media gallery made with soft lithographic ink.
    Last edited by cliveh; 12-20-2011 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can use 81053: : Charbonnel Litho Crayon Black 200ml
    straight out of the can without any stiffening.
    Graphic Chemical product.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can use magnesium carbonate to stiffen lithographic ink. A source for this would be Bostick & Sullivan: http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart...=search&page=1

Cheers -

george

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had the pleasure to meet Maija McDougal last year who gave a demonstration of the technique and some advice. She told me that most inks sold today are to soft and she uses beeswax to stiffen it. I tried Silverprint Bromoil ink and was given a jar of Maija's ink, the later was much better! But then I am no expert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GLSmyth View Post
    You can use magnesium carbonate to stiffen lithographic ink. A source for this would be Bostick & Sullivan: http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart...=search&page=1

Cheers -

george
    I read that, do you know in what ratios of Magnesium to Ink. I tried a 1:1of Magnesium Sulfate but didn't seem to effect it.

I did mix plain old candle wax and that certainly harden it up, but how it work I'll have to wait and see until after Christmas.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    one can also use starch such as dextrine or pigment powder itself to harden the ink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin