Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,544   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hardening Bromoil ink

I'm about to embark on some Bromoil printing, I got some litho ink 1796 which seem a little soft, but I have read where you can use beeswax or Magnesium salts (Epson) to harden the ink. Before I go all gunhoe and just try it does anybody have some experience in harden a soft litho ink.

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello;

I have learned my Bromoil process from Gandolfi and uses magnesium carbonate as hardener.
    Here is where I bought mine:
    http://www.aartdevos.dk/katalog/farv...offer/?p=46040

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate (I still get annoyed that IUPAC changed the spelling of sulphur to "sulfur") as opposed to the carbonate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, i did read magnesium carbonate most places, but Michael Spedding refer to Epson Salt, -"and inked up using graphic black litho ink 1796 which had been stiffened with oil pastel or crushed magnesium sulphate (epsom salts). i'[ll have a play a see what happens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's probably the magnesium itself which does the work. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd bet that the magnesium carbonate is just a bulking agent....talc would probably work too. I'd be less confident in epsom salts....they dissolve once water hits them and that might affect how they work. Seems like most any insoluable powder would work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not a bromoilist, though I've done a lot of printmaking... take anything I say with appropriate caution.

In etching, ink is made stiffer with French chalk (talc), but sparingly. The tack of the ink is not necessarily the same as the hardnes or softness. This site sells ink conditioners, but the text on their talc page made no sense to me. Perhaps it will to a bromoil printer.

Good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Derek Watkins suggests candle wax (obviously uncoloured) or powdered aquatint resin, both needs to be melted. Other mediums include the aforementioned chalk/talc and powdered household starch. As an aside, the candle wax makes the ink a bit glossier.

You can tailor the matrix to be of higher relief (warmer water temperature), but maybe stiffening the ink (or buying a can of 1803 instead) is a better idea.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 12-20-2011 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    I'm about to embark on some Bromoil printing, I got some litho ink 1796 which seem a little soft, but I have read where you can use beeswax or Magnesium salts (Epson) to harden the ink. Before I go all gunhoe and just try it does anybody have some experience in harden a soft litho ink.
    I found litho ink to work fine. Why do you need to harden it?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    my 2 cents:

the oils I have worked are all far too soft for using without hardening. That's why I use it.

I buy the magnesium carbonate in the same store where I buy the ink, but I have also in the past tried something ammonium - something (the actual name eludes me).

As I have never tried the aforementioned suggestions, I'll stick (pun intended) to the magnesium....

Clive: one reason to use hardener is, that it can be a means to highten/lower the contrast in the final bromoil..

(the stiffer ink, the higher contrast..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin