Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,698   Online: 825

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photographs Comprised of Glass - Stained Glass "Prints" - Molten Casting... Etching..

There are glass casting methods that use plaster molds for pouring molten glass into various forms. I would like to apply this to the making of photographs composed completely of glass. Ultimately with the idea of making incredibly unique and potentially beautiful stained glass "prints".

A photographic relief image can be formed in plaster by taking a high-relief carbon print/matrix, swelling it to full size w/ water and impressing this upon wet plaster. The result is a permanent and durable mold that can, in theory, withstand the high temperatures required for glass casting.

F.E. Ives early halftone process utilized a plaster mold of this type, proving that a usable relief image in plaster can be made in this way (the carbon method).

Imagine now pouring glass into this mold and with some kind of "doctor blade" skimming the excess from the mold, leaving colored glass in the valleys of the relief image in direct proportion to their density in the original photograph. Upon drying, a layer of gelatin, collodion, CMC gum or any number of colloids could be poured over this, allowed to dry and used to lift the glass image from the mold without disrupting its distribution. This could potentially be transferred to another surface, or might constitute the final mount. Ideally, several layers could be combined, possibly by glass fusing methods.

The viscosity of molten glass is my biggest concern for this method working. All glass pouring I have seen looks like cold honey at best; highly viscous. It seems reasonable to assume that a much lower viscosity would be required to allow the glass to occupy every nook & cranny of the plaster relief, and also to allow for easy "skimming" of the excess.

Alternatively, perhaps there is a method that would allow etching of glass to such a degree as to make relief images directly in glass. Hydrofluoric acid, sodium hydroxide and perhaps other chemicals will dissolve glass.

Has there ever been a method of reproducing continuous tone photographs in glass?, that is, not some kind of half-tone process & etch, or a process where an image is applied to the glass. The glass, which in any kind of relief scheme has to be inpregnated with a colourant, must be the photograph, not a substrate.

Glass experts? Process history savants?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is a very large forum at the web called Warmglass. I dont think you have finance for burning a furnace for hours with gas or electric.

Warm glass is a concept which making a glass piece in the mold with soften glass pieces and sintering them before melting , safer , cheaper and easier.

Have you ever visited a glass studio , it is even hard to stand before furnace even from 20 meters.

But heating the furnace and closing the home heating system can save you from Mid West American winter for couple of days.

Try to look glass enamels from Tiffany.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Umut, I will look at Warmglass.

Of course I don't have the resources to do this. But if you get a good idea, with enough of the logistics figured out, convincing some glass artist or some art & design school to give it a go doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

If we only discussed what was practical, or what we could do tomorrow, well.... you and I would never post!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Situation is not hopeless.

You can rent a glass studio , furnace , annealing furnace and a master.

Ask warmglass forum for a studio at Kansas , thousands of glass furnaces are in US. You can spend few days there for few hundreds per day and explore.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I need to know the lowest viscosity that glass can get to.

I'm not encouraged by this, "Glass is viscous though and unlike metal casting, the soft glass does not flow through the mould."

However, this same idea could be applied to resin, polymer, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow... glass properties dot com... go figure

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Inkjeting carboxyl acid on to glass plate would create gold luster.

Transferring carbon relief with acid sensitive material and than process this surface on glass with acid would give you the glass etch relief.

Than apply below linked glass irridescent or normal paints on to glass , and you get what you are after , safer , cheaper and more flexible.

http://www.your-decorative-painting-...ass-paint.html

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	43297

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Holmburgers, If I am reading you correctly, you are one of those brilliant people who spark with ideas. However, to realise any of them in practical terms you need to slow down, focus and experiment, again and again and again. It is easy to postulate ideas, but another thing entirely to turn them into images. We are only mortal and any new process or concept takes time. I do not wish to appear patronising, as I recognise aspects of your thinking in myself. However, I am a great believer in doing the same process over and over and over again, until you develop an intuitive grasp of the process/technique. This is something that is very misunderstood and neglected by many students today.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin