Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,131   Online: 903

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vandyke issues

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vandyke issues

Over the Christmas period Ive been having a go at doing some Vandyke images, and I seem to have a problem. The problem is I'm getting a large amount of grey in the final image including some of the edge where the paper (Arches Aquarelle) was coated but got full exposure to the sun. Could this be a coating issue, i put on 2 coats using a foam bush dried between coats with a hairdryer. The exposure time seem very short too, less than a minute in the Australian sun.

Vandyke issue009
    Last edited by SMBooth; 12-28-2011 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried a couple a few months ago, and my problem seemed to be mainly a coating issue, I just couldn't get it even. The emulsion just seemed to be soaking into the paper too much, maybe I need to size it. The colour wasn't a problem, just the streaking and uneven density. I used a glass rod and then tried a Hake brush, which I preferred.
    Your problem may be down to the water, or fixing....what fixer are you using?
    Tony

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Please tell me your Van Dyke chemical formulation and I maybe able to help.
    Last edited by cliveh; 12-28-2011 at 05:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Try only one coat of sensitizer, or two coats diluted to 75%.

It looks like an excess of sensitizer from what I can see, which would explain the very short exposure, and muddy tones.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok thanks, the formula is the standard 9/1.5/3.8 found online using green Ferric Ammonium Citrate. I thought after posting it might of been fogging. The fix was very dilute plain hypo, next time I'll mix a batch to 5% solution to be on the safe side. Might go get me a Hake brush at the arts store before trying again.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    can you please explain this in detail with process steps?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive.
    Mix is as per Wynn White’s notes, mixed with distilled water. http://www.alternativephotography.co.../vandyke-notes
    2 coats applied in dimish room with drying time under film box between coats. Paper: Arches Aquarelle 300gsm
    Sensitizer applied with foam bush, i never measured out the senistizer just poured some into plastic container used and pour what was left back into bottle. Next time I will measure out 2ml per 8x10
    Film and paper in contact frame under sunlight.
    Wash in water, funny that nothing seem to wash out
    Fix in dilute plain hypo.
    Wash in water
    Dry
    Last edited by SMBooth; 12-28-2011 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Clive.
    Mix is as per Wynn White’s notes, mixed with distilled water. http://www.alternativephotography.co.../vandyke-notes
    2 coats applied in dimish room with drying time under film box between coats. Paper: Arches Aquarelle 300gsm
    Sensitizer applied with foam bush, i never measured out the senistizer just poured some into plastic container used and pour what was left back into bottle. Next time I will measure out 2ml per 8x10
    Film and paper in contact frame under sunlight.
    Wash in water, funny that nothing seem to wash out
    Fix in dilute plain hypo.
    Wash in water
    Dry
    OK, I think I can help. After exposure in sunlight and before the first wash in continuous running water, get a tray/sink with plug in plug hole and add water (enough to cover the print/s, the quantity of water is of course dependent on the size of your prints, let’s say about 4 litres). Add to this about two tablespoons of Borax powder and stir until dissolved. Then add print/s and agitate/stir for about 5 minutes (you will now observe a wash out). Then wash in running water for about 10 minutes before fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update, spend the day playing, problem was indeed to much sensitiser. I brought a Hake brush to apply, still having application problems, but that seem to be my technique and perhaps oily fingers as the paper has spotty marks all over it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    OK, I think I can help. After exposure in sunlight and before the first wash in continuous running water, get a tray/sink with plug in plug hole and add water (enough to cover the print/s, the quantity of water is of course dependent on the size of your prints, let’s say about 4 litres). Add to this about two tablespoons of Borax powder and stir until dissolved. Then add print/s and agitate/stir for about 5 minutes (you will now observe a wash out). Then wash in running water for about 10 minutes before fix.
    Thanks,
    What the Borax do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin