Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,532   Online: 946

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happyjam64 View Post
    Yeah, there's lots of great ones, but my favorite one is hands down this one!

The story behind it is one of the best stories I've ever heard.
    Much better then the one that followed: http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress....sh02.jpg?w=700

I agree about the story - I was fortunate to hear it directly from Karsh himself.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Not a fun pic, but the one by Dmitri Baltermants of the women looking for sons, husbands, fathers and friends at Kerch in 1942

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baltermants.web.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	43594

Perhaps the strongest war image that comes to mind, and although well known is often overshadowed by the huge American publishing machine which gives the impression that only the USA has ever produced war photographs
    Last edited by John Austin; 12-31-2011 at 04:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rrankin View Post
    Mine is this one by Julia Margaret Cameron. I got a copy of it printed in Camera Works and had it mounted and framed. Seeing a Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition in NYC years ago was what got me back into photography.

Richard

Some years ago I visited her old home at Freshwater on the Isle of White and that same wallpaper was still on the wall. Perhaps she also had some pasted to a board that she used in her converted chicken shed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Seeing a Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition in NYC years ago was what got me back into photography.
    If you lived where I live, you could see a JMC exhibition every day!

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Some years ago I visited her old home at Freshwater on the Isle of White
    And that's Wight, not White!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My choice as well, and made in the 1960's when I first saw the image in a Photography book by Eric De La Mare which I bought as a teenager while at school.

Ian

Ian
    Mine is this one by Julia Margaret Cameron. I got a copy of it printed in Camera Works and had it mounted and framed. Seeing a Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition in NYC years ago was what got me back into photography.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like any of Ansel Adams pictures.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love historic pictures, but my favorite is one my great grandfather made, which I reprinted in the early 80's of my grandmother, her two brothers and their mother, my great grandmother. Did you follow that? I'm not sure I did... anyway, I uploaded it to the gallery here awhile ago.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...=2670#comments

There are lots of others I like, too, but this one has a personal connection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Prayer Pilgrimage for Freedom, Washington DC, Lincoln Memorial, photographed, May 17, 1957, LIFE:http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/322...1E70F2B3269972
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite and supposedly the most reproduced photo in history. Interestingly it's a cropped version of the original, the second link.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Iwo_Jima.png cropped and most famous version

http://www.iwojima.com/raising/lflaga2.gif original picture by Joe Rosenthal
    Last edited by Alan Klein; 12-31-2011 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Had wrong first picture.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Wow this is pretty scary.

I happen to agree that this image is mine as well. When I looked at this thread I did not immediately open because I did not want to be influenced ... but the first image that came to my mind was this exact one.

What is it about this image , as I have her books and she made a lot of images and this one stands out.

Is it possibly that this young woman transcends time???? hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My choice as well, and made in the 1960's when I first saw the image in a Photography book by Eric De La Mare which I bought as a teenager while at school.

Ian

Ian

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin