Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,390   Online: 660

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years ago I was given the advice that if using RC paper, I should 'strip' the paper of the resin on the back after development. The guy giving me the advice used a 50x60 (centimeters) camera for his paper negatives, and claimed that he had no troubles doing this. As far as I can recall he used the paper negatives for van dyke prints.

I was never able to reproduce his procedure, so don't take take this as anything else than a suggestion.
    Last edited by BirgerA; 04-17-2012 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Regards

Birger A.

------------------

Idealism is easy on a full stomach

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just like Pictorico White Film does not work with most alternative processes, I guess by using RC based paper negative, you are using some sort of UV blocking material.

Can the object be exposed onto 8x10 cyanotype material directly? That probably is the way done by Fox Talbot etc. many years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you have thought of using ortho film? It has better UV transmission then BW paper. I'm sure you'll get the same spectral sensitivity. You can soup it under a safe light also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless I'm mistaken Fox Talbot made a paper negative and then used it to print a positive by contact printing it, which is why his work was a little on the soft side. This will be the first step in a larger project and I need to see if I can make this work. After that I will try coating my own lighter paper and lessen the amount of time required to get a print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We used to oil large paper positives for screen printing. It worked well, but those were pretty much disposable. Once the paper dried it wasn't all that messy. Wax really is the way to go, looks nice on the final prints too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been printing cyanotypes with paper negs lately, shooting with pinholes and lenses. Technically they're pellet prints (brushing on the ferricyanide, with gum, after the exposure, then developing normally). I rip as much of the paper base off as I can, evenly, which causes the paper to curl like mad, making it difficult to load into a contact printer. Tape helps. I use the sun to expose the AFC, takes about 25-40 minutes depending on the cloud cover/time of day.

Here's an example
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewmusil/7346954864/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin