Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,260   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I actually tried it....

I've read on other forums about PN's and thought I would try it. I shot just one yesterday, due to time constraints. I metered for an ISO of 3. The image came out or looked to come out, close, but still would need tweaking for the next sheet.

My question is, now that you have a PN, how do you separate it from the backing to use it as a negative for printing purposes?

Did I mention that this stuff is FUN!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't separate it. You either use it as it is or apply wax or oil to the back to make it more transparent.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OH!

I read some where that folks boiled the paper, and gently peeled it off. I tried that with HOT tap water, and my fingers couldn't take it... I try your approach

Shooter
    35mm
    Just use it as-is for contact printing, also you can use pencil etc. on the back of the paper neg (or a sheet of tracing paper if you don't want to make permanent adjustments) in order to hold back selected areas.

If you want to make a larger version of the contact-print, then re-photograph it and use that neg in the enlarger. Pulling the film used for the copy might be helpful, depending on what the contact-print looks like.

I don't know anyone who is stripping the emulsion off paper for use in an enlarger. Is there anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post

I don't know anyone who is stripping the emulsion off paper for use in an enlarger. Is there anyone?
    I think they were stripping the emulsion off, and doing contact printing, not enlarging to be honest..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that when you contact print it, you position it emulsion to emulsion, otherwise your print will be very soft.
    Stripping the image might be possible with RC, but I doubt you could get it clean enough to enlarge, I've never tried it though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good point from Bdial, it has to be said just in case. Also a thick piece of glass on top, or using a contact-printing frame, will help in maintaining the resolution of the neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I actually tried it....

Another neat thing when doing a contact print with a paper negative is note the different results you get with the type of paper. RC will get you a smoother result, while FB will incorporate some of the paper's texture into the finished print, making it look more like an antique. See my gallery for a few examples with FB.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And then there's Harman Direct Positive, which I'm dying to try in the pinhole I'm going to build over Christmas.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I highly recommend you endeavor to experiment with X-Ray film.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin