Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,106   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heterolysis View Post
    If the test strips are working, then most likely the developing time was reduced too much or the exposure wasn't correct.

Are you not tray developing under a safelight? You would be able to see it developing and not stop at 2:40 if it wasn't long enough.

Otherwise, did you expose the wrong side of the paper? ....It's happened to me more than I would care to admit.
    I'm not tray developing because I don't have a permanent darkroom at the moment. if at 17 degrees 5 1/5 is enough then at 20 degrees it should be around 3 minutes right? give or take.

so I'll try more developing time.

Another problem I have is that I can only shoot one, process one, shoot one - process, so it all takes a long time. anyway, nevermind.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Another problem I have is that I can only shoot one, process one, shoot one - process, so it all takes a long time. anyway, nevermind.
    Sounds like you are on the right track.

Just don't do what I did last night or the other day. With these low concentrations things can go wrong. I made both mistakes...

1. Stir the developer to completely mix it.
    2. Don't wash out the mixing vessel after adding the 1 part of concentrate.

Yup I meant to develop in Dektol 1:9, and instead I carefully measured 1 part Dektol. Asked my wife what's 9 times 3. She told me 27 and I carelessly rinsed out the beaker, added 9 parts water and saw it was short of the 30 ounces total, so I added 3 more ounces of water.

I developed a roll of film for 5 minutes in 10 parts water last night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's unfortunate, I know I shouldn't but I did laugh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it finally worked ha-cha-cha...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robot inverted.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	567.4 KB 
ID:	62698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robot.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	575.7 KB 
ID:	62699

the positive was inverted in photoshop for now, but I'm gonna try making a positive in camera later.
    the final working solution was:

dev: 1:100 rodinal, 20 degrees, 5.30 minutes
    stop and fix to manufacturer specs.

so a couple more questions, how do you stop them curling? and what's the best way to meter making a positive? bearing in mind I'll be using a camera instead of a "real" enlarger. Is it ok to just meter as if I was simply taking a picture?
    Last edited by himself; 01-14-2013 at 05:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a bit curious; how did you check exposure on your digital (that has a minimum of ISO 100) against papers that are... what.. ISO 3?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tested at iso 100 and then worked it down in whole stops from there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin