Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,715   Online: 793

Shooter
    Multi Format

Blue filter with HDPP

I recently ordered a box of Harman Direct Positive Paper in 5x4" to experiment with. Among other things I'm interested in the orthochromatic characteristics of the paper (reduced red sensitivity), and I'm aware of the paper's *very* high contrast. One type of photography I intend to do is high-contrast "gritty" portraits with flash lighting (i.e. not really looking to "smooth out" subject's skin). For this I thought I might use a blue filter to further enhance the orthochromatic effect, and as blue filters also generally reduce contrast I thought this might be a good match.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, and what your results were? Or am I completely off my rocker?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you try it? I'd love to see the results.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    For this I thought I might use a blue filter to further enhance the orthochromatic effect, and as blue filters also generally reduce contrast I thought this might be a good match.
    Othochromatic means blue and green sensitive.
    By using a blue filter you do not enhance the orthochromatic effect, but destroy it.
    Instead you'll gain a blue-only effect.

Blue filters do not generally reduce contrast.
    The effect of any filter depends on the colour of lighting and the colours of the object.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin