Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,893   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole

Glossy? Semi-Matte? Pearl?

I'm wondering what folks prefer for their paper negatives and why?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For colour print, I prefer glossy paper and then doff/matt coated. This way I get the more vibrant colour yet avoid the reflection of glossy paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I personally can't stand glossy paper, inkjet or wetprint. If i have to move my head to see part of the photo because there's light reflecting off it, totally ruins the enjoyment of the shot.
    (I've just started inkjet printing, my packs of sample paper just arrived today. I'm really liking the look of the German Etching paper, the more matte and fibrous the better...)

Come to think of it, that goes for computer monitors too. It took me ages to find a laptop with a matte screen, they're all glossy and hard to see in anything but a darkened room.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a paper neg, glossy is probably best, followed by matte. I've not tried it, but pearl might add unwanted texture to the positive image. I use glossy for paper negs and it works pretty well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only ever done paper negs on 5x7 matte Ilford MGIV paper, and that worked OK for contact printing. Have not tried glossy, but imagine it could potentially look sharper.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me I like pearl the best. Why I don't know!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using semi-matte (Arista.EDU RC #2), but that's for pinhole work, so I doubt I could tell whether the surface affects anything. I bought it because it's my preferred surface for prints, in case I gave up on paper negatives. I'm about to try some 8x10 contact prints from last Sunday's WPPD exercise, but I can see the whole business is at best a work in process here!

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're using a paint can for pinhole or a similar shape that has the paper at an unusual angle I've heard the glossy can reflect onto itself and cause obvious problems.

I've never heard one way or another in a film holder but I'd wonder whether the glossy could cause stray light bouncing around in the bellows?

I used pearl and had no problems with it, liked it very much.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I've always used glossy for my paper negatives, but prefer the luster finish for contact prints.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using pearl and semi-matte for everything so far. The texture does come through slightly on contact prints, but I think it looks good. Like DaveT I also use it for prints. Not sure if it's allowed to say it here, but I find the texture makes it hard to scan well, the problem being that the prints have depth and texture and sheen that are missing.

I want to try glossy eventually and will not be surprised if it makes a sharper contact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin