Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,567   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    this thread might be helpful

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum62/5...so-rating.html

that same ilford emulsion might also be as fast as iso 25

re paper speed ratings of 200&c
    that is relative to paper speed, not relative to the iso of film
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jojje, thanks for the tip. I just reserved for me the book you mentioned above on our library website (helmet).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well yeah, so I finally got around to trying this out.
    0.6mm hole at 200mm gives roughly f/333, near enough to 7 stops down from f/32.
    Took the digisix and the suitcase camera out at lunch today, ended up at 2 minutes with ei3, but no filter.
    Now I've got a lovely black piece of paper to hang on my wall...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just did another test strip with a B+W 040 4x Orange filter. Same lightmeter reading, same 2 minutes, same (albeit much smaller this time) nicely black piece of paper.

Either these times are up the creek or I've got a massive light leak somewhere...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to confirm that your paper is ok, try developing a piece straight from the box, without exposing it. After fixing, it should be white. If it has any tone at all then you have a problem with the paper.

Just wondering the obvious, you do realise that the paper must be developed in darkness or with a safelight, and that you have checked your safelight is actually safe??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah, the paper and the safelight is good (as are the chems), I was enlarging stuff last weekend with the exact same paper.
    I'm pretty sure there must be a light leak somewhere in the suitcase, I'll be adding another set of baffles today to see what else I can block out...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Um this is still MGIV right? 2 minutes for 200mm "focal" length sounds pretty close to right to me. Even if your exposure was off by 1 or 2 stops whole, you'd still be able see a low contrast very dark image. I think some kind of leak is likely. A good test for light leaks is to load a little strip of paper, put the camera out in the sun, then develop!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So over the llast week I've totally attacked this thing with aquadhere, styrofoam packing, black construction-cardboard, and a can of black spraypaint.

Last night I did 3 images:
    - a test strip with the suitcase in the sun for a full 10 minutes, lenscap-shutter on. Completely brand-new chemistry, I tipped dev/stop/fix all down the drain last weekend when my HDPP came out pink. Test strip came out totally white.

- then another square (a 3x5" ripped in half), with an Orange 040 (4x) filter. Digisix gave me ev9 at ei6 in almost-sunset behind cloud. 8-stops below the f/32-mark (7-stops for f/ and 1-stop for ei) gave me 8 minutes at f/344 at ei3 (ie, NOT taking the filter factor into account). Test came out almost completely white again, so I started suspecting the brand new chems. Fogged a strip in front of the safelight (10cms for 10secs usually give a nice mid-grey fog) and that came out greyish so the chems were fine. When it was fixed and I turned the lights on I could just see a tiny faint of grey that would have been a bright reflection off my car in the sun.

- So last one, the other half of the 3x5, I took the Orange filter off, got the same ev9, so did the same 8 minutes (ie, no filter factor and no filter), and got a very nice shot of a tree in front of my house. Shadows were almost white and the sky was totally burned black, lots of contrast (I haven't scanned/inverted to see how well it looks in positive).

So today I loaded it with an 8x10 and packed it in the car, I'll see what I can take a shot of at lunchtime. As I've got the 040 Orange on again (for some reason I don't have a 52mm yellow, only orange and yellow-green) I'll take it 10-stops below the f/32 ei6 reading (7-stops for f/, 1-stop for ei3, then 2-stops for filter) and see how i go. Or should I use a different filter-factor because it's MGiv and has a weird curve?

(if this works I've got some 11x14 MGiv and HDPP coming from B+H, this thing could turn out to be a fun suitcase)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ps, just re-reading all the posts again. So maybe I did the test last night a bit too close to sunset and there wasn't enough blue light around and the Orange filter took out what little there was. So if I do a shot today at almost exactly midday, what's a good starting point for the filter-factor? It's a bit grey and cloudy today, but it might clear up to blue skies in the next 3 hours...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with orange filters is that they require a very very long exposure with paper negatives... way higher filter factor than for film. For a yellow filter I use a filter factor of 4 ( 2 full stops ). I'm not sure what it is for orange because I gave up on them early on!

But I'm glad to hear you are starting to have success and it sounds like you will dial it in soon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin