Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,290   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

ageing photo paper

I've a small supply of 10 year old 8"X 10 "Ilford multi-grade paper and am using it for my initial in camera negatives with some success. The paper has been subjected to all sort of bad storage conditions over the years (like extreme temperatures and moisture in a basement storage area to in an uninsulated small storage shed). This "good stuff" is going to be depleted soon and I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with ageing newer product? Like keeping it in a warm to hot place for a period of time. Generally to prolong film and paper life it's refrigerated so am assuming heating it would produce the reverse condition.
    Any good ideas or successful experiments ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a coupla 100-sheet boxes of paper so old it's got a base fog I'd be willing to let you have for the postage/package costs. What effect are you looking for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I use mine for Lumen prints. The older the better success I have. I went to an old camera store in our area and bought a bunch for $1/box of 100 8X10.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Summicron
    ,WOW! thanks for the quick reply. What size is your paper? Not sure about shipping from your location but my zip code is 65714 could you check shipping costs from there to here? Probably flat rate postal boxes or UPS would be least expensive.I'd try and check from this end but without knowing size/weight and zip code,don't have enough info.....
    It seems a slight base fog is desirable for lowering contrast in paper negatives exposed in-camera and that's the case with the few I've shot so far with my old paper. Pre-flashing also seems the way to go,as I'm just beginning with shooting paper in my camera,was concerned about running out of material as The technique is being perfected......
    Thanks in advance,
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am excited about learning/discovering new things about paper negative's. I've already mentioned the two open packs of old outdated paper that I'm working my way through. It seems one pack may be a lot older than the other(like it was with Columbus when he discovered America). The early trials were made using the pack with the least amount of paper and worked well as about 3 ISO for portraits and developed in old dilute Dektol. However trying the pack with the most paper didn't work out as well (the Columbus pack),after several attempts and increasing the exposure drastically the resulting negatives were thin and had a heavy uneven base fog. Have decided that pack's not good for portraits but may give it a whirl for landscapes without any flash exposure (hate to waste stuff ya know).The whole paper negative thing has revived my interest in photography and is great fun to boot.
    Really appreciate all the information you all share openly here.
    Thanks,
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't chuck the 1492 stuff, it could be wonderful for some other uses. You may be able to use it with your paper negatives in a different way!

Edit: Not a mystery! I don't have time to write it up now, and I'm really not quite ready, but I will soon. JNanian knows what I've been playing around with... a way to convert old photo paper to a kind of POP that is strong enough to contact print paper negatives. I will probably put the write-up over at f295.org, but I'll make sure to post a link here or in the paper negatives group. The old paper is not just good for lumen prints or photograms, but also might be excellent for retina prints, solargraphs and maybe this conversion to POP.
    Last edited by NedL; 04-19-2014 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK! I really didn't want to pitch it 'cause I'm frugal (read cheap),but it's really a surprise to me that all this outdated stuff is usable.
    I shudder to think of all the short dated and out dated stuff we would to throw away at studios and labs i've worked over the years.
    We couldn't afford to have unrepeatable results if possible so we dumped the questionable stuff,"if I only new then what I know now".
    Thanks for your input Ned and I'll be looking forward to your up coming projects.
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got some glossy paper to try for in camera negs and WOW! is it ever rendering sharper negs than the pearl I've been trying ('cause that's what I had on hand).Since I'm enlarging these nega it's no contest the glossy is far and away the sharpest.Duh! you'd think a person would know the textured paper wouldn't be as sharp as the smooth. Stupidity aside I'm really going to wear out this paper neg picture taking,it's really got me going....
    Don
    P.S. I'm trying different densities on the base fog with this fresh paper to see how far it will go before no improvement is evident.
    D.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't get rid of old paper unless you're giving it to me - lol!!

Seriously, you can use Benzotriazole to tame the fog. I add 1ml per litre of developer of 1% Benzo solution - if that is not enough I increase the level to 3ml per litre.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of my pinhole cameras have curved surfaces, and I started using pearl and semi-matte paper negatives in those to reduce reflections. Over time, I found that I like the texture that shows in a contact print from the pearl surface, but I think many people prefer to use glossy paper negatives for increased sharpness in contact prints too. I can definitely imaging that the texture could make a difference in a reflective enlargement!

I do not have a lot of experience contact printing glossy paper, but the times I've tried it (wet) I also had the impression that the sheets made better contact. Still, I'm not planning to switch... just got another 250 sheet box of 8x10 Adorama VC RC pearl!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin