Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,813   Online: 994

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Oriental graded RC paper super sensitive to safelight exposure

I normally use a string of red LED lights for a safelight. Very bright and easy to work in. With the Ilford MGIV RC paper I've been using as paper negatives there has been no problem at all with safelight fog, even with prexposed paper left out for 10 or 15 minutes. Looking around on the B&H site I found Oriential grade-2 RC paper, 8X10, 100 sheets for $45, that seemed a good price and I had wanted to try a graded paper for paper negatives.

This paper fogged in the safelight, and I mean it fogged fast. Both products technical sheets call for the same color and intensity safelight and I admit the LED's are very bright but the data on the Oriental site does call this paper an extremely "fast" paper. I believe it!

When handling the Oriental paper I have switched to a very dim, 11w red safelight bulb and limited time out of the box as much as possible. However it does take a little time to cut the paper to 4X5 size before I stick it back in the box. I hope this will take care of the fogging problem.

I've used mostly Ilford paper for a long time and had never run across this problem before. I've got a couple of holders loaded and will be able to tell soon if this paper can be used for negatives as I had hoped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have other safelight, like Ilford 902? Maybe it is less sensitive to non red safelight?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Do you have other safelight, like Ilford 902? Maybe it is less sensitive to non red safelight?
    I thought about that. B&H has a Paterson unit with a orange/red filter that might work. For right now I've switched to much dimmer light. I hope there is a threshold exposure for the Oriental paper and that the time / intensity of this light won't reach that point.

Busy life but later today I intend to test that hope and see if the paper can be used with my current equipment. Of course I can always find ways to spend more money but the use of paper as a negative is to save money and to make developing easy and comfortable since, at least with the Ilford paper, it can be carried out under safelight.

As they say, stay tuned.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oriental specifies the amber Kodak OC or the equivalent Ilford 902 safelight filter for all its black-and-white enlarging papers.

http://www.orientalphotousa.com/ns_vc_rcII.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can check if your high intensity red LED is phosphor based. Those LEDs produce UV light and is downconverted to visible by phosphor like in a cold fluorescent tube lamp.
    Expose a sheet of paper with UV filter over it and process it. If the area under the filter is not fogged that means the led is phosphor based and emit sone UV and is not appropriate to darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If an OC filter is safe then a red #2 filter is also. Red #2 filters are safest of all safe lights, and using a 15w bulb(either color). The caveat with any safe light is distance from materials. I don't think any safe light is safe at distances closer than one meter from work area.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    I found this interesting from the Kodak K-4 Publication: "The “safest” color safelight filter for a particular material is not always the recommended one. For example, a red safelight filter often has less effect on photographic papers than the amber filter listed in the table. However, most workers find that they can judge print density or perform other functions better under an amber light. (So, although it is a slight compromise in protecting the paper from fogging, an amber filter improves working conditions.)"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    most workers find that they can judge print density or perform other functions better under an amber light.
    I have, and alway had dark red, and my friend had Ilford 902. When I went to his darkroom recently --> I want Ilford 902, much better print judge, at least to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My darkroom light was green !
    Human eye is more sensitive to green and less light is needed to see things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Modern multi grade papers are sensitive to blue and green light.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin