Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,388   Online: 1059

Shooter
    Multi Format

Texas paper negatives

Just returned from a little trip to Dripping Springs Texas and thought I'd share a couple of 2 1/4 X 31/4 landscape paper negs. Just inverted them on computer,haven't tried to print them yet.Really like the look of paper negs shot in camera.

The second one is edge fogged from not inserting the slide all the way home before removing from the camera but kind'a interesting anyway.
    Can't wait to enlarge them(and crop the fogged one...
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are both excellent! What paper and what ISO did you rate them at?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They look great! Are Texas paper negatives bigger than regular paper negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    They look great! Are Texas paper negatives bigger than regular paper negatives?
    Everything's bigger in Texas!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the kind words Mike.The paper is Ilford multigrade glossy,not sure about ISO as the old meter I'm using runs out of ASA(ISO) before it gets down far enough but I'm guessing about 6.The reading I'm going by is EV 10 on the meter,results in 1 second at f 32 bright sun exposure. I am happy to see some faint clouds in the sky as they don't usually show up on blue sensitive materials unless they are very pronounced. Beside pre flashing the paper I did something unusual in that I "cooked" the paper before flashing.I've always understood that to keep unexposed materials for a time they should be refrigerated so to"age" the paper which is fresh I sealed it in a metal can and cooked it for 2 hours in a toaster oven at 85 degrees F and let it cool before pre flashing and think it flattens the emulsion a little more than just the flash will.I'm pretty sure the clouds in these pictures wouldn't have been recorded without the extra boost given by cooking.In case you might be wondering they were processed in Dektol(old Dektol) 4:1 for 2 1/2 minutes.
    Looking forward to printing them up to 8X10 in my reflective enlarger.
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are awesome. I particularly like the second one. Very nice job. I've never heard of cooking the paper before hand.
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

"It is better to travel well than to arrive." - Buddha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice, I love the look of paper negatives. Cooking! Wow, never heard of that!
    Agree, it's a pleasant surprise to find clouds in the sky!

I'm on a salt printing kick right now and the paper negatives come out just about perfect if I rate the paper around 6, do nothing at all to control contrast, and err on the side of slightly longer exposures than normal. But I'll have to try cooking my paper when I go back to in-camera negs for contact printing on normal photo paper!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Salt printing is interesting,hope you post some prints(maybe you have and I haven't looked in the right place).
    I'm hoping eventually to be carbon printing which is the cause of the recent 11X14 camera build.Am toying around with an idea for enlarging the paper negatives onto carbon tissue. I've been told it can't be done because the carbon tissue is very slow exposure wise and mostly sensitive to UV light but maybe......
    Anyway good luck with your research.
    Don

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin