Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,557   Posts: 1,621,741   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Best filter for graded paper negative

Hi All -
    Spurred on by some excellent info provided in the f295 forums by Joe VanCleave, I got some great captures in my 4x5 pinhole on preflashed Arista #2 graded rc paper. I really like the results, but would like to have the option for something other than a white sky. I know I can't use a red filter like I would with film. How about yellow or green? Does anyone have examples of each? I'd like a little guidance before I drop $30 on a new filter (I don't have any that will work for my 4x5 currently).

thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a yellow filter when I shoot paper negs. It helps to block out some of the blue light, and I almost get some detail in the skies. I say "almost" as I am using multi-grade paper, not pre-flashed, which I rate at 3 including the filter factor. So my exposures are long, and skies tend to become a streak of moving clouds. But it least there is some texture there - it's not all just white. I need to try pre-flashing, as that would gain me about a stop.

I really like the look of paper negs. They have a certain quality that you just can't get from film. Though I image with enough time you could "replicate" the look in photoshop...
    Wandering the Earth with a RealitySoSubtle 6x17 Pinhole, Pinhole Monster 5x7, Marvel 5x7 view camera (in renovation), Bronica S2A, Bessa L & 35/1.7, [[Sony A6000 & some old Zeiss SLR lenses, Sony RX1]].

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i do not believe you can filter graded paper
    you might consider doing a few tests ( using enlarger filters if you have them )
    and VC paper ... AND you might also consider figuring out the exposure for the sky
    to have details and using that information to burn in your paper negative as you expose it ...

have fun!

john

ps. if you figure out what color filter ( enlarger filter ) you need
    you might look for lighting gels of a similar color, much cheaper than glass filters ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys - to be clear, I'm not talking about contrast filtering as in changing the grade of the paper. I know that no matter what I do, it'll be grade 2 in contrast. Rather, I'm referring to a "minus blue" effect, as Oldwino is referring to with the yellow filter. Since graded paper is blue sensitive only, I expect that a yellow or green filter will have a stop-down effect on the sky (and anything else blue) while having a stop-up effect on things like grass and trees.

Anyone got samples to compare a graded paper shot with a yellow or green filter? I think I do have to go with glass, cause I'm doing pinholes, and so cleanliness is an absolute must - something I don't think I can easily maintain on a staticky gel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry for my misunderstanding
    whenyou have examples of what you did,
    please post them.
    i've been shooting paper for a long time and never heard
    of using filters as you are suggesting ..

looking forward to your posts !
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry for my misunderstanding
    whenyou have examples of what you did,
    please post them.
    i've been shooting paper for a long time and never heard
    of using filters as you are suggesting ..

looking forward to your posts !
    john
    No worries at all - it's not always clear in the written word. I hadn't heard of it either! And then I started doing some searches on Google. There's lots of examples on VC paper, but not on graded paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    maybe it is done on vcpaper because it works with contrast filtration while graded paper is ... fixed.

either way sounds interesting !

btw i use lighting gels to make tri chrome ( b/w separation negatives re-assembled into color photographs )
    works great ( at least for my purposes ) a few buck vs 100$ ...

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graded paper is sensitive to blue light. If it is used in-camera, use of a filter does little or nothing for the images.

Only VC paper is sensitive to different wavelengths (Green and Blue) and thus a tiny change can be had at the sacrifice of contrast variations between colors.

I would give up this idea.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Graded paper is sensitive to blue light. If it is used in-camera, use of a filter does little or nothing for the images.

Only VC paper is sensitive to different wavelengths (Green and Blue) and thus a tiny change can be had at the sacrifice of contrast variations between colors.

I would give up this idea.

PE
    so there would be no minus-blue effect? effectively stopping down the sky? My only option is to switch to VC paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no minus blue effect on graded papers. VC papers respond to minus blue and minus green, but vary in contrast.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin