Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,262   Online: 826

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am using alt process - cyanotype. Even my facial tanner which is a nice bank of UV bulbs takes a while to contact print normal film (30min-1hr vs sunshine 8-15minutes depending on neg density - 28minutes tops for the really dense negs)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, UV transmission through RC paper is probably going to be pretty lousy.

Say, can you make a wet contact print? In other words, wet the neg and the print paper with plain water, sandwich them between glass, and then expose? If you squeegee out the bubbles then you may (I repeat may!) see some sharpness and exposure benefits. I am thinking that the water may increase the UV transmission of the paper. (I use plain water with immersion objectives in my UV microscopy)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, because water is used to wash away the undeveloped portions of cyanotype so water + unexposed paper = nothing.

So basically I can't use paper as a good replacement for enlarged negatives. Darn.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It works printing onto POP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ah okay.

But I think you can wax the back of the rc paper, I vaguely recall reading that somewhere.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is an interesting side note that the early RC papers would delaminate in a long wash and a lot of work went into keeping it from being peeled apart. It seems ironic to me that you are now wanting to circumvent all of this to peel it apart.

BTW, AFAIK, waxing will not work on RC, but can on some FB papers.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is an interesting side note that the early RC papers would delaminate in a long wash and a lot of work went into keeping it from being peeled apart. It seems ironic to me that you are now wanting to circumvent all of this to peel it apart.

BTW, AFAIK, waxing will not work on RC, but can on some FB papers.

PE
    Would it work if I peeled it in half and waxed what remained of the paper? I was going to try a peeled in half RC paper today but I've been busy with chores and stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Would it work if I peeled it in half and waxed what remained of the paper? I was going to try a peeled in half RC paper today but I've been busy with chores and stuff.
    I'm really not sure if that would work due to the structure of the support when compared to FB.

Sorry I can't help. I am fairly sure that waxing the unpeeled paper will not work from what I remember.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I'm really not sure if that would work due to the structure of the support when compared to FB.

Sorry I can't help. I am fairly sure that waxing the unpeeled paper will not work from what I remember.

PE
    g'day all

PE, i'd expect this would work as the wax or oil can't penetrate the RC but would be absorbed into the paper fibres once the plastic is removed

i regularly use baby oil on FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

He is talking about unpeeled papers which requires that the wax penetrate 2 layers of poly ethylene. This might not work. I have been told it would not.

If stripped, then it might penetrate to some extent.

I would agree that baby oil might be better than wax. It works on FB, but don't forget that PE is quite resistant to penetration even by baby oil.

PE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin