Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,817   Online: 728

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Color Paper as Paper Negative?

I am curious to know if color paper can be exposed in the camera and developed in such a way as to produce a grayscale negative?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are (or were?) some ra4 papers for this, hyper seagull and ilford ilfospeed come to mind. IT's been a long while since i thought of doing this so I don't know what the status is of those. But I think they were designed for making b&w prints, with ra4 chems, using colour laser exposures.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilfospeed rc digital...

I was very interested in purchasing some at some long ago but as I recall it could only be bought in large rolls.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    While trying reversal RA I've noticed that supra and supra endura produce very low dmax when developed in rather contrasty b&w paper dev. The images were definitely low contrast so it might be a good starting point for some experiments.

There is also backprint issue. I've heard that there are/were some color papers without backprint but I don't remember ever seeing one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The colour layers are also differently laid on colour paper- the red sensitive layer is on top. I don't know how this affects the colour of the picture, in case a positive is made. However, I have put 9X12 cm sheets of RA4 Konica Golden Dragon paper in an old plate camera before, as well as 60mm strips cut from paper long enough to make 5 or 6 exposures for 120 cameras. Processed in RA4, through a Durst RCP-20 processor. The paper negatives looked largely red- perhaps because of the native bias of the paper emulsion to halogen printing light sources?- but the complementaries of the other colours were there. Blue originals recorded as yellow, green foliage as pinkish red, etc.

This is the colour paper "negative", shot through a Rolleicord. The paper was taped on used backing paper and respooled:

The only way I can make positives from the colour paper negative shot with a 9X12 cm plate camera is by scanning it and reversing the colours digitally. It looked all blue:

FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Ilfospeed rc digital...

I was very interested in purchasing some at some long ago but as I recall it could only be bought in large rolls.

This paper is NOT a chromogenic paper and thus not intented for RA-4.

It is a panchromatic classic b&w paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy;

Yes, you can expose color paper in a camera to get a paper negative. You can even get a good neutral out of it if you wish. You will need to experiment quite a bit to get the balance you want though.

It is Tungsten balanced with high UV and IR sensitivity so you will need a good UV filter. The Blue is about ISO 100, the Red is about ISO 25.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very intresting. I have some outdated colorpaper. I will have a go with it. It will be possible to develop it in b+w developper? (I know everything is possible but will it give some decent results?) I'm gonna try it anyway. Seems interesting.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ZorkiKat (and others), what happens if you shoot RA4 paper in the camera and then contact print that to RA4 paper? Curious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the best that I've done with Ra-4 paper( Kodak Endura)
    85B filter, inspection developed in a tray at 30C
    5X7
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-111224-0001hres.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	328.4 KB 
ID:	48789

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin