Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,155   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Paper Negative Question

I have a simple question to ask and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but wanted to ask it anyway. I've been learning about overexposure and underdevelopment (and vice versa) for film and how you can control contrast like this. I was wondering, could the same principle be applied to paper negatives (when using them for pinhole photography)? I'm thinking the answer to this is no because in my past experience (only 4 months or so), it seems that the highlights and shadows seem to come in at the same time when you throw a photo in the developer. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try pre-flashing instead of over-exposing to control contrast. Mix up some 'film-strength' developer and take it leisurely and by inspection to taste.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Modern RC papers can nearly not influenced by developping time. May be stronger or weaker devloper concentration has some effect.
    But Baryta papers get harder if you develop them longer.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used Ilford Multigrade IV RC. Processing time does seem to have an influece on the few paper negs I've shot.

I've had both massive contrast and lack of shadow and highlight detail, and great negs with detail in both. I've had some very nice stuff come out of the few times I've tried it.

They were all rated between ISO 1/2 to ISO 4 for shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    aaron

Are you fighting harsh contrats in your paper negatives? If so, have you tried a yellow filter? It turned almost unprintable paper negatives into a 'walk in the park' for me!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    in addition to the other things suggested ...
    if you can get your hands on some instant coffee, washing soda and vit C ..
    go to reinhold's caffenol blog, caffenol c works great with paper negatives !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm a little nervous to try pre-flashing but if I can spare some paper then I'll definitely try that out. They do usually turn out pretty contrasty so I'm working on controlling that. I tried a yellow filter for the first time the other day and it seems to have tamed the sky, but there's not much detail in the shadow areas. The scene was pretty contrasty though, I doubt even a DSLR would have been able to replicate it without some editing. Here's the photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronmichael/5449545807/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    aaron

Photographic paper is very sensitive to blue light. The yellow filter works wonders, but of course, it does need a stop more light. I usually use Ilford MGIV-RC at ISO 2, and in addition, dilute the paper developer 1+8 instead of the usual 1+2. Attached are my results:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PaperNegativeNoFilter.jpg   PaperNegativeYellowFilter.jpg   PaperNegativePrint.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    in addition to the other things suggested ...
    if you can get your hands on some instant coffee, washing soda and vit C ..
    go to reinhold's caffenol blog, caffenol c works great with paper negatives !
    John, you crack me up! No problem that can't be solved by coffee!

that said, caffenol probably would be a great developer for paper negs. I do know that preflashing is very effective, so I add my 2 cents to the others who recommend it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can get some old fogged paper from somewhere - usually available cheaply - then this is effectively pre-flashed. I also wrote about using Paper negs if it's any help. http://boxesbellows.blogspot.com/200...negatives.html
    And Andrew Sanderson has a fine Blurb book out on paper negs too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin