Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,181   Online: 735

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paper Negative Strange Banding -- Any Ideas?

I am doing my first round of testing with paper negatives today and things are going along good, but I am getting a strange band on the paper negatives. I was wondering if anyone with experience has any ideas as to why this is happening?

Let me give you a little background first.

For the tests I am using my standard 4x5 view camera and normal film holders. After seeing the problem I used the same setup and exposed a sheet of film to confirm there were no problems with my camera equipment, etc. The film developed fine without any issue.

I have ordered some grade 2 RC paper, but for today all I have is my standard Ilford MG RC glossy paper. I tried with and without VC filters in regards to exposures and the band shows up on all exposures.

I have attached the raw scan so you can see what I am talking about. Look along the roof line of the house and you will see the banding that I am talking about. It runs the width of the negative. Disregards the writing in pencil on the image as I was doing this for testing purposes. Don't pay attention to the actual image because I selected this scene because it had whites, deep shadows and blacks so I could get a handle on exposure issues in the field later on.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_092511_paperneg.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    it looks like your paper is fogged ...

take a sheet of paper and run it through the developer to see if you can notice similar banding on just regular "unexposed" paper ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had a fogging issue in the past so I didn't think of that. I bet that is what it is. I will go to the darkroom now and post a reply back in a few minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mystery solved. It was a fogging issue but not in the darkroom. Long story short I was taking the camera apart to put a VC filter behind the lens and I must have somehow not got the bellows back 100% right. As a matter or deduction I took the bellows out and back in again making sure everything was as it should be and the fogging went away. I was thinking it might be a film holder leaking light but I am glad that was not the case. Unfortunately my grade 2 paper wont be here for a couple days so I will just have to wait to continue. Using the VC paper today was a good first exposure to the process and I actually got decent results. I will be interested to see how the graded papers look as compared to the Ilford MG RC paper. In case anyone is interested I rated my Ilford MG RC paper at ASA 10 and took exposures out in the bright sun with a large contrast between my highlights and shadows (about 7 stops) and my highlights did not completely blow out but my midtones were muddy as I expected. In my case I ended up getting the best result at 1 second at f/45 on a 150mm standard lens (4x5). I used Dektol at 1:9 for my developer at 68F/20C. I will forge ahead later this week and see how things go. In my case I either work in the studio doing fine art subjects or outside doing landscapes or architecture. My plan is to pick one paper and nail down the exposure characteristics for each scenario.

Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin