Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,740   Online: 1170

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    The Rosco #19 Fire is a very red gel, and despite that, the light that comes out of the unit is yellow all the way.
    The spectrum of a sodium vapor lamp consists of two very narrow energy peaks at about 589 nanometers.

The transmissivity of the Rosco #19 Fire gel is about 50% at that wavelength, which is the only one that matters in this application.

Due to its cutoff characteristics the gel will look red to the human eye.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Aw, c'mon, Ralph. What's not to love? It's bright and safe. What more do you need?
    ido not likeacentral light in the middle of the romm.because,iseemto end up standing in my own shadowehereever i stand,it is very annoyingtowork in one owns shadow.also,it was not save when tested it wide open!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well don't forget there are two sets of gels used in the Thomas duplex. The orange set with the vanes open and then the red set with the vanes closed all the way. Ruby lith could be used on this 2nd set for max protection when working with things such as ortho film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The diffusion/#19 combination seems like it might work. Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    ido not likeacentral light in the middle of the romm.because,iseemto end up standing in my own shadowehereever i stand,it is very annoyingtowork in one owns shadow.also,it was not save when tested it wide open!
    If your darkroom is painted white, as it should be, there is no issue with shadows.

Mine is white, and I can read the label on a bottle with my back turned toward the light, at the other end of the room.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What the .... ???

What kind of marvelous invention is this?

I am fumbling around in the dark like an idiot these days, with one bare-bulb green/yellow thing in the ceiling, I can't see much of anything.
    Where can I buy one?
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Where can I buy one?
    Yes, the Thomas Duplex safelight is a marvelous invention.

It uses a sodium vapor lamp, so the light without filtration is monochromatic yellow, outside the sensitive range of paper.

Unfortunately it's no longer in production, but you can find them used, and replacement lamps are still available.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the tip, I will be looking out (literally) for it =)
    I find it hard to follow development in the tray for example, because it's so dark. (My bathroom has black tiles on the walls).
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Thank you for the tip, I will be looking out (literally) for it =)
    I find it hard to follow development in the tray for example, because it's so dark. (My bathroom has black tiles on the walls).
    It might be overkill for a space that small, but many people report using black foam core to block out the top windows and keep the light down.

In my basement, the light is hanging a good eight feet from my developing tray. Even full closed I can see the clock on the wall and my body casts a soft shadow over the print tray. So I can see the print but it isn't getting blasted by light while it's in the tray. One it hits the fix I can open the vanes and start getting an idea of the print while it's fixing.

Have you tried just bouncing a standard 15 watt yellow safelight off the ceiling? Not sure what the green safelight is, but it sounds like it would be very dark.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got very little light in my area, now...I've got a small safelight that's close to the enlarger, and I have an old Kindermann Inaktin globe fixture over the sink. I've actually got a second Inaktin base, but I don't have another amber globe. Hmm...classified ad, perhaps...

I was thinking of placing the Thomas at the far corners for soft light everywhere. My walls are a cream tone...I didn't feel like painting them white. I figured that cream would work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin