Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,483   Online: 976

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Is Rosco sheet a theatre lighting gel? If so, for us in the UK, the same thing is available from Lee Filters.

http://www.leefilters.com/

Steve.
    Yes, indeed. Theatre and video productions.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Thomas buzz???

There's something wrong with your light. Mine makes no noise whatsoever.

- Leigh
    The buzz signifies the tube is about to go. I have it as well, but I'm going to run it until its burnt out. As the only time I notice it is when I am right by it, I have tunes to jam to in the darkroom with a under the sink ipod speaker dock which over powers the buzz.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    So it looks to me like you are using the Rosco #19 on both the top and bottom filters as opposed to a yellow of some sort. Is that corrrect?
    Yes. You could configure this in many ways to get just the right type and amount of light. I moved mine about eight feet from my enlarger and dev tray, and now it bounces off a big white wall. Super soft, lots of light even all the way closed. Really love it.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I'm about to buy a whole darkroom setup from a guy, keep some stuff and sell the rest, including another Thomas Duplex, so if you are in the market, shoot me a PM. I'm sure the filters will need replacing!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    I tested my Duplex safelight and found that I had to close the flaps.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...Safelite.shtml

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We have 3 Thomas units in our college darkroom. The darkroom is about 15' x 30' and the lights are spaced about 10' apart. They are about 1' below and bouncing off the ceiling with the vanes open approximately 1/3 of the way. When I'm working in there alone I usually close the vanes because I prefer it dimmer than the students. (sic) The brightness sometimes interferes with seeing the projected image at smaller f/stops when burning/dodging.

The only other complaint I might have is that sometimes the lamp contacts get corroded and stick to the socket making the lamp hard to remove. It is awkward to begin with and if the lamp is stuck, very difficult to remove. But then I've only had that problem twice and have only replaced about 5 lamps between the 3 units in 22 years. And that's with them burning about 55 hours per week. They are a very good investment IMO.

I have experienced some fogging with ortho materials so I have a couple 10" x 12" safelights with 15w incandescents and 1A filters directly above the sink areas when I'm doing ortho and have the Thomas' shut off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My dumpster dived Thomas Duplex hums

Can't hear my radio it's so loud. Is there a fix?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm pretty sure there is a starter ballast in there. It may need to be changed.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format

Thomas Duplex filters

Here's some info that I thought might be interesting. This may all be common knowledge, but hopefully useful to some.

The Thomas Duplex safelight was offered with various filters for different uses. Most of us at APUG are going to be interested in the versions "Type DUB" for black and white printing and ortho processing, or the "Type DUC" for color printing. To the best of my knowlege (and personal experience), the Type DUC is also fine for standard black and white printing (but not ortho film processing) .

The only differences are the filters fitted, and the information below explains the tape color codes that indicate the use for each filter.

This is excerpted, paraphrased, or interpreted from literature from Thomas Instrument Co.:

Black and White Printing (Type DUB)
    Yellow filters in the housing and Red in the vanes (that refers to the color of the taped edge of the filter). Vanes can be fully open in a large darkroom (they indicate 12 x 14 feet with "standard" 9 1/2 foot ceiling height and the bottom of the safelight 7 feet high). Being able to use the vanes fully opened would obviously depend on how close the installed safelight is to areas where paper is handled. The vanes should be closed as much as necessary to prevent fogging for the exact darkroom size and conditions.

Ortho Processing (Type DUB)
    "For Ortho Films, papers and most graphic arts materials, the vanes should be fully closed so that the light passes through the yellow and red filters. If the light level is much lower than desired, it may be raised substantially by removing the yellow filters and using only the red ones in the fully closed vanes. Make certain the vanes close tightly to avoid leakage of yellow light."

Color Printing (Type DUC)
    Yellow filters in the housing and Black (black tape edge) filters in the vanes. "For color printing papers, the vanes should be fully closed, so that light passes through the yellow and black filters. The light level will be rather low, bu t still many times brighter than conventional safelights. ..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Thomas safelight has been "humming" along for about 3 years now. The noise is a bit of a bother, but I'm waiting for the bulb to burn out before replacing it, plus, I have a back up Thomas. Does anyone know what type of ballast and where to pick one up? I suspect the ballast is more the culprit than the bulb, could be wrong, but would like to find a replacement just in case.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I am curious where you got the information about the transmission and cut-off for the filters used in the original Thomas Duplex. I want to find replacement filters for the color (black) filters.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin