Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,480   Online: 921

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    The Rosco #19 Fire is a very red gel, and despite that, the light that comes out of the unit is yellow all the way.

I just repaired my filters with Rosco Fire #19, and Tough Diffusion #119. Both the inner filters and the outer filters have one layer of each. The outer filters also have a layer if the tissue paper that the filters come wrapped in, for a little extra diffusion in my very small darkroom/laundry room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367449201.268357.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	68139

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367449211.544907.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	68140

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367449221.782428.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	68141

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's finally installed! This has got to be the best thing ever invented! I hung it over the washer/dryer since this is where the wet trays will be, the enlarger will be on the wall behind me.

With flaps closed its as dark as two 5x7 premier safe lights.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367881822.431161.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	68382

With flaps halfway to fully open.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367881847.412501.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	68383

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice. They are impressive units.

To make mine even darker I cut a pair of filter-sized sheets of black mount board and inserted them into the flap holders in place of the filters. By closing the flaps this allows me to completely darken the room for composing dim projections on the easel. I can still get way more light than I need just by opening the flaps incrementally.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to do some fog tests in the morning to see how much light I can get away with. I may have to end up doing something like you to cut down the amount of light some.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    To continue this thread, I took apart my filters and looked inside to see what gels are used. They are as follows:

Yellow tape:
    White vellum diffusion
    Roscosun CTO #3406
    Roscosun 85 N.6 #3407

Red tape:
    White vellum diffusion
    Rosco Fire #19 (two sheets)

Black tape:
    White vellum diffusion
    Roscosun CTO #3407
    Roscosun 85 N.6 #3406 (four sheets)
    Roscosun CTO #3407 (again)
    White vellum diffusion

The manufacturer cut the sheets in such a way that the gel numbers were still on the edges.

I also have an old filter from Thomas Duplex that I am unsure of its purpose since the tape has been replaced, but it had an amber filter like a 3407 and 3406 combined, a dark green filter like a Wratten #58 with two diffusion sheets between them.
    Thanks Greg for the original filters specifications. I have some Thomas Duplex for sale so I will redo the original settings. The guy lab who sold me this stock use the Rosco #22 (deep amber) and #25 (red) and I have some precut ones.

Your Green one is probably the DUX set as described in the Thomas instructions:
    X-RAY PROCESSING (Type DUX)
    For X-Ray Materials, the main housing should contain the green-edged filters
    and the vanes the red-edged ones. Since medical and industrial X-Ray materials
    vary over an exceptionally wide range of sensitivity and spectral response,
    preliminary tests should be made with each material being used. For unusual
    situations, upon consultation, our technical staff may be able to supply special
    filters.
    I think I have one too, second set in the picture.

Name:	IMG_5935.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	554.2 KB 
ID:	86875

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin