Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,454   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I <3 Thomas Duplex

I bought a used $40 Thomas Duplex safelight today. The filters were kind of beat, so I replaced them with Rosco #19 "Fire" which has the right type of wavelength cut off:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	43734

The thing is so bright you just don't expect it to be safe, but it is: after flashing some MGFB IV and doing a ten minute coin test with the unit full open, there was not the slightest hint of fog. It's like daylight in the darkroom!

EDIT: THAT ? WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A HEART
    Last edited by ParkerSmithPhoto; 01-02-2012 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    The darkrooms where I've seen them, they've been closed down a bit to cut down the light. There's so much that it tends to get in the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea I love my Thomas Duplex, its hard to use anything else after using one. Makes things like reading variable contrast filter values off the pamphlets of papers very easy.

Mine has developed a buzz, so I might have to change the sodium vapor tube in it soon.

You got a great deal!

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'm not a fan!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    i'm not a fan!
    Aw, c'mon, Ralph. What's not to love? It's bright and safe. What more do you need?
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In our lab we have it turned up toward the ceiling with a white card used to bounce the light back. The ceiling is low and it is just too bright hanging the "normal" way and when some of us used some warm toned papers they would tend to fog a bit.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    In our lab we have it turned up toward the ceiling with a white card used to bounce the light back.
    You should check the filters. Mine were all shrunken and cracked, and plenty of unfiltered light would be pouring out of them. Theoretically, the bulb only produces "safe" wavelengths, but at that high intensity I doubt it's very safe for very long. I'll run a test with some MGWT tonight.

The Rosco gels cost about $8 for a 20x24 sheet, which will give you two complete sets of filters for the unit. You could double these up and/or add Rolux (diffusion gel available in various stops). The #19 is 2.3 stops. I considered the Medium Red #27 as well, but it was so dense and dark purple I figured that it wouldn't be a good choice.
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never used one personally, but my understanding of others' experiences would seem to echo Ralph's comment. Perhaps it depends on the paper, but I remember John Sexton saying unless you close the Thomas WAY down, it is not a very safe safelight. I guess all I can recommend is doing a proper test.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    You should check the filters. Mine were all shrunken and cracked, and plenty of unfiltered light would be pouring out of them. Theoretically, the bulb only produces "safe" wavelengths, but at that high intensity I doubt it's very safe for very long. I'll run a test with some MGWT tonight.

The Rosco gels cost about $8 for a 20x24 sheet, which will give you two complete sets of filters for the unit. You could double these up and/or add Rolux (diffusion gel available in various stops). The #19 is 2.3 stops. I considered the Medium Red #27 as well, but it was so dense and dark purple I figured that it wouldn't be a good choice.

The filter is fine.

It is always best to run fog test even with "safelights"

I am trying to remember which paper, and it was Forte warm grade 3, if I am remembering correctly. I was a bit surprised myself and the fog was slight but none the less still there. I have test our light up to 30 minutes and except for that specific paper no problems.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love mine as well. First experience with one was at Project Basho workshop with Chuck Kelton. When he opened the box of paper we were printing on I panicked, thought someone forgot to turn off the light! Bought one as soon as I got back home. An alternative site to buy bulbs for less money is http://www.bulbs.com/Category-/resul...lpartial&Nty=1

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin