Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,271   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I look at this tomorrow, what is the optimum color for the filters? I've heard that they come in different configurations, what is the best if you are a) trying to maximize the range of contrast, and b) doing split-grade printing?
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One more question: would a Beseler 45 version of the Multigrade head fit on the Beseler 45V-XL?
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    When I look at this tomorrow, what is the optimum color for the filters? I've heard that they come in different configurations, what is the best if you are a) trying to maximize the range of contrast, and b) doing split-grade printing?
    As far as I know from 3-4 years ago when I refurbished my Multigrade 500 head based on the negotiations with Odyssey sales, Richard Ross (RH Designs) and Chris Woodhouse (Book-Way Beyond Monochrome) I chose magenta for hard (I don't think there is other option) and yellow for soft grade. Yellow should give better soft grade than originally used green filter (at least I think that originally the green filter has been used).
    For split grade printing the yellow and magenta filters are fine but you'll definitely need new controller. Richard's Stop clock 500 is amazing solution
    Last edited by kapro; 01-21-2012 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix the name of Chris's book

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have no issues getting a full range of contrast using the stock blue and green filters on Ilford MGIV. I also use the RH Designs Stop Clock 500 and I find it to be really worth the expense.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapro View Post
    I chose magenta for hard (I don't think there is other option) and yellow for soft grade. Yellow should give better soft grade than originally used green filter (at least I think that originally the green filter has been used).
    Kapro, at the risk of asking a silly question. How did you change the colour of filtration?
    I have a 500 head with RH timer too. As I split grade commonly, I am interested in your comment.

Thanks

D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Kapro, at the risk of asking a silly question. How did you change the colour of filtration?
    I have a 500 head with RH timer too. As I split grade commonly, I am interested in your comment.

Thanks

D
    There are two colored filters (approx. 2x2cm) in between the bulbs and mixing box. One for hard and one for soft grade. I ordered mine either from Oddysey sales or from http://www.lightwaveservicing.co.uk/ - I don't remember exactly. Even such a left handed guy like me managed to change it... .
    K.
    P.S. There are no silly questions. That's why we're here. To help each other in this shrinking community.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am the same as Gebhardt. I wonder whether you gained much more than you would have gotten by may be adjusting the settings at the back of the transformator of the Ilford head 500.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin