Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,819   Posts: 1,581,648   Online: 852

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LPL/Saunders Column

Not sure if this has been discussed previously, but I wondered if you can fit a 5x4 LPL enlarger to the 6x7 enlarger column? I know the 5x4 is longer in length, but do the other dimensions allow for them to be swapped out?

I've got a 5x4 head (no column) and a complete 6x7 outfit. I could attach the 5x4 to a wall no problem, but I'm pretty sure, even with a drop shelf system, enlarging would be a pain, due to dimensional limitations. Instead I was thinking of attaching the 5x4 to the 6x7 column and selling off the 6x7 head.

Thoughts anyone? (Open to buying a column if necessary, if anyone has a spare.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bet KHB Photografix would be happy to answer your question: http://www.khbphotografix.com/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bump... Also interested in this, sometimes i see 4x5 heads from time to time without anything else, would be a cheap option to upgrade for me if this is possible.

Does the 4x5 head come with a separate power brick as well? If it does I dont see those often, might the Achilles heel for me in this situation. I use a 670XL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine did come with the power pack also. It was from a lab and was attached to the wall via a board behind the head - the column was long gone, or buried somewhere they couldn't find.

If I could pick up a second enlarger for peanuts and just grab the column I'd be happy; then I can eventually unload the 6x7 I currently use, ready for somebody else to use.

KHB is certainly the place to go, but the cost of shipping to AU makes it rather expensive. If it's feasible, picking up a 6x7 enlarger here will be much cheaper than grabbing one from these guys, unfortunately.

Seems such a waste that I may eventually have to butcher a perfectly good enlarger for the part I need . . . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nanette:

I was suggesting KHB because they could probably answer your question, and because if it were just a question of buying a part, they might be a good source.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, I've shot off an email already to ask about the column and hoping to hear back some good news. The cost of postage does worry me though - those columns aren't so light. , but fingers crossed, I won't need to buy another column and just be able to fit it to the one I have.

They do have a great range of parts and I'm envious of you guys in Canada - LPL's supplier here in AU, is nowhere near as complete in stock as KHB, and their service is rather woeful. Great to see these guys are supporting the analog world of photography still.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The first version of the 4x5 used the same column as the 670, but later 4x5 versions used a much more massive column. If you look at your 4x5 head and your 670 column, you can compare to see if they fit.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nanette
    What if you got someone to make a column from wood?

If it's helpful, the dimensions of the column on my 4x5 are 10.8 cm wide by 9 cm deep.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Barry,

Something I never actually thought of! Will keep that in mind; KBH have got back to me, and the freight will be the biggest problem - it appears that the column is too big for Australia Post, although I will confirm with them, otherwise it'll be a courier service - ouch!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems it won't fit a 6x7 column without some DIY; waiting to hear how much a column will set me back - my bank account is trembling already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin