Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,607   Online: 1054
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    CPorter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West KY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,662
    Images
    24
    This is the product that I am looking at in Lowes----it has a pot life of 2.5 hours, doesn't leave much time to apply a coat, let dry, and re-apply, unless the first coat does not have to be totally dry---it's advertised as a one coat floor application.

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_224198-4-002...3D1&facetInfo=

  2. #22
    Trond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Harestua, Norway
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    658
    Images
    74
    No priming. No flaking yet!

    Trond

  3. #23
    Roger Thoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    851
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    This is the product that I am looking at in Lowes----it has a pot life of 2.5 hours, doesn't leave much time to apply a coat, let dry, and re-apply, unless the first coat does not have to be totally dry---it's advertised as a one coat floor application.

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_224198-4-002...3D1&facetInfo=
    Wouldn't you be better off mixing two batches, I think you are asking for trouble if you mix it all at once and try and do two coats. Btw I do think two coats would be better. I have done two garage floors both with two part waterborne epoxies which were one coat products and ended up doing two coats.

    Roger

  4. #24
    Trond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Harestua, Norway
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    658
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Wouldn't you be better off mixing two batches, I think you are asking for trouble if you mix it all at once and try and do two coats. Btw I do think two coats would be better. I have done two garage floors both with two part waterborne epoxies which were one coat products and ended up doing two coats.

    Roger
    This is what I did. I mixed several small batches. Once mixed the paint will start hardening. I don't think applying several coats from the same batch is possible.

    Trond

  5. #25
    wildbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    This is the product that I am looking at in Lowes----it has a pot life of 2.5 hours, doesn't leave much time to apply a coat, let dry, and re-apply, unless the first coat does not have to be totally dry---it's advertised as a one coat floor application.

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_224198-4-002...3D1&facetInfo=
    for about the same price, you can get the right quantity of west systems epoxy shipped to your door. It's sold at boating stores because it works well in making wooden boats or other things that get wet on a daily basis. Lots of us have used it on sinks w/o cloth. Why risk it with a product made for concrete?

    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...36678&id=12198
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...36682&id=12283
    www.vinnywalsh.com

    I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    94
    West is MUCH nicer to work with than polyester....

  7. #27
    CPorter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West KY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,662
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    for about the same price, you can get the right quantity of west systems epoxy shipped to your door. It's sold at boating stores because it works well in making wooden boats or other things that get wet on a daily basis. Lots of us have used it on sinks w/o cloth. Why risk it with a product made for concrete?

    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...36678&id=12198
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...36682&id=12283

    1. Do you coat both sides of the sink with this stuff or just the inside? My sink is 8ft x 30 inches deep with 8" sides, I wonder how much would be needed for a sink that size.

    2. Clear but amber colored resin applied over plywood, this is not the look I'm after. I want the plywood to be colored either to a light gray or some off-white color----can the sink be primed and then the resin applied, or does the resin have to be applied to an unpainted wood surface? The joints are caulked with a high quality polyurethane caulk. The reason for wanting an epoxy paint is that I can tint it the color I desire and it seems it would be simpler to apply, just like painting, but I don't really know about that assertion, it's just how it seems to me without any experience with it.

  8. #28
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,651
    Images
    14
    West Products are amazing, all my sinks are coated and no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    for about the same price, you can get the right quantity of west systems epoxy shipped to your door. It's sold at boating stores because it works well in making wooden boats or other things that get wet on a daily basis. Lots of us have used it on sinks w/o cloth. Why risk it with a product made for concrete?

    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...36678&id=12198
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...36682&id=12283

  9. #29
    CPorter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West KY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,662
    Images
    24
    I get that it's good stuff, but I have questions before any purchase is made, post #27, thanks.
    Last edited by CPorter; 01-21-2012 at 08:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #30
    CPorter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West KY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,662
    Images
    24
    I made a call and found out that I can paint it after it is coated, very good.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin