Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,269   Online: 833

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can report that I am satisfied with the West System epoxy that I used on the darkroom sink I just finished building. I ordered one day, Fedex delivered the next. The online instructional videos and written documentation were very helpful. I ordered the quart size of epoxy and the matching amount of catalyzer, and got 2 coats plus all of the filleting that I had to do for the corners. Because I have never used epoxy before I ordered the pumps, rollers, mixing tubs, swizzle sticks, etc, which added a bit to the cost. With the exception of pumps for convenience, I probably would not do that again with the experience I now have.

I think that the 2 coats I applied will hold up just fine, but in the near future I plan to build a tray storage area under the sink which I will want to epoxy, so I will put another coating on the sink at that time.

My only complaints; because of inexperience I was spooked by the set up time and rolled it on pretty fast. As a result the surface is not as smooth as I would like, but it is not fine furniture. It is a darkroom sink that is going to get fixer stains all over it, so I am not terribly concerned with final finish.

I was also disappointed in the West Systems rollers, one came apart partway through the first coat. I will probably just buy short nap foam rollers from Lowe's next time. If I had it to do over again, I would use West again. But I am glad I don't have to do it over again. I want to make prints, not sinks.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I've got two 3x8 marine plywood sinks coated with GLUVIT, a two part waterproof epoxy paint! You can embed fiber glass sheets or use filler with it like West Marine Epoxy! Its bullet proof and it has been in constant use for five years! It rolls on with a foam roller and has a 2 hour pot life. I got mine at a local (MASSACHUSETTS) marine hardware store, it comes in quarts or gallons/ I used two quarts to allow a second coat after sufficient dry time, first coat in the corners and to build up a slope to the drains.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    two coats should be fine... I need to recoat mine soon so I will sand and put a couple of coats again.. really nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I can report that I am satisfied with the West System epoxy that I used on the darkroom sink I just finished building. I ordered one day, Fedex delivered the next. The online instructional videos and written documentation were very helpful. I ordered the quart size of epoxy and the matching amount of catalyzer, and got 2 coats plus all of the filleting that I had to do for the corners. Because I have never used epoxy before I ordered the pumps, rollers, mixing tubs, swizzle sticks, etc, which added a bit to the cost. With the exception of pumps for convenience, I probably would not do that again with the experience I now have.

I think that the 2 coats I applied will hold up just fine, but in the near future I plan to build a tray storage area under the sink which I will want to epoxy, so I will put another coating on the sink at that time.

My only complaints; because of inexperience I was spooked by the set up time and rolled it on pretty fast. As a result the surface is not as smooth as I would like, but it is not fine furniture. It is a darkroom sink that is going to get fixer stains all over it, so I am not terribly concerned with final finish.

I was also disappointed in the West Systems rollers, one came apart partway through the first coat. I will probably just buy short nap foam rollers from Lowe's next time. If I had it to do over again, I would use West again. But I am glad I don't have to do it over again. I want to make prints, not sinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used fiber glass resin for my sink and it stinks to the high heaven for a long, long time, but it's water proof. It's the same stuff they make surfboards.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Around here Smith's 2-part penetrating marine epoxy is mostly used, but West System and Abatron
    have very similar products. The key is "penetrating" (versus just a topcoat paint). Two coats minimum. Seams ideally need reinforcement with 2-part epoxy putty.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used 2 part epoxy (SP 320 - like west systems - its non stinky). The only tip I can make is read the instructions, particularly regarding recoating time, and its easy to measure out by weight if you have some electronic kitchen scales that you can zero with any container stood on them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin