Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 742

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

plywood sink coating

Just wandering how many may have used Sherwin Williams' Waterbased Tile Clad Expoxy finish for coating their darkroom sink----I was in their store today and came across this product. It's listed for for steel and masonry applications, but seems like it would be good for coating a wooden sink as well, pretty expensive though. I'm goint to go with the expoxy paint route as I don't want to use fiberglass.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar with that specific product, but it sounds like it will do the job. Garage floor epoxy coatings work exceptionally well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just finished the dry side of the darkroom in the house I moved in to, and tomorrow morning I begin the dry side. I intend to build a plywood sink and am planning to use West Marine Systems epoxy. It seems to be the most recommended product for this purpose.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is great stuff, but sooo danged expensive, regular epoxy based paints work just as well. There is always Bondo glass kits from the auto parts store as well, still cheaper than West System and serves the same function. I used West on a cedar strip canoe that I made years ago, I'm sure the price hasn't gone down any since.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need fiberglass, at all. Get the west system's epoxy, read up on it, put two or three coats on and a few more on the joints. It's not expensive in the long run and will outlast your darkroom. Get two of the small cans, that should do it. I bought the gallon kit (about $135, i think) this last time and didn't use that much of it for a tall, deep, 8ft sink. Make sure you paint the un epoxied surfaces of your plywood to keep them from warping.
    Dan, let me know if you have any questions, I had some issues that were resolved with a phone call to west systems, which is in michigan.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used marine paint that is used for boats. It worked okay, but wish that someone could have recommended something better. I have some spots that are almost exposed the wood. I'll have to read it at some point, so I'd be interested to hear what others use. Unfortunately in Canada, our options are somewhat limited in comparison to the USA. Or at least it's harder to find.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My sinks are 22 years old and don't leak.. I just went to the local plastics store and got epoxy with the fiber glass. Very easy to do. No reason to not do the fiber glass it is no problem at all. I think my sinks will be water proof forever.
    dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used swimming pool paint.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Never built a sink, but I have used West System epoxy quite a bit and it's a great product. Very versatile and there is a wealth of info on their website.

Sorry I don't have any insight into the Sherman Williams product you mention.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used epoxy paint intended for garage floors. The cheapest I could find. Seems to have done the trick.

Trond
    Last edited by Trond; 01-20-2012 at 02:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin