Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,154   Online: 1231

Shooter
    35mm

Beseler 23C11 XL Enlarger

So I'm trying to set up a darkroom for the first time on my own (other exposure has been in great college and school rooms that were already established). I was given a ton of equipment, part of which is a Beseler 23CII XL enlarger. My question is (and this is going to sound really stupid - I just can't remember to save my soul!) - do I have to have a timer, like a Gra-Lab or similar, to turn it on or off? Everything works when I plug it in - the bulb comes on, the lens stops up and down, focus works - all good, except for turning on and off without unplugging!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, you need a timer. Which Gra-lab are you thinking about?
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll be better off with a timer, but a simple switched outlet will actually work.

But trust me, you want a timer!

And welcome to APUG!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Some people just count, or use a metronome and turn the light on/off by hand. Or better yet block the light with a card, then start & count, then block with card to stop and then turn off light.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

I thought I needed one. I am just looking at timers on ebay - I remember using the dial type Gralab 300 in school. Nothing complicated - just something to turn on/shut off the enlarger. Right now I can only do it with the plug. My unit is missing the swing attachment for the optional red filter, so I don't have that option available. I just need to get up and running ASAP. Thanks for the info!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin